Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Loss offer received... thoughts?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Total Loss offer received... thoughts?

Been offered £2650 for my Coupe, subject to confirmation from the Claims Dept. What do people reckon? Obviously this figure is before deducting my excess, so is apparently a reflection of what it would cost me to replace like-for-like.

The car is (was ) a 53 plate 1.8 in Chianti Red, good condition throughout apart from a white bonnet (which was still in excellent condition and only on there whilst my chianti one is painted - sod's law really!). full MOT (literally only done 15 days ago), 108k, full service history, irmy crosshatch grill listed on policy with like-for-like cover.

Looking on ebay/pistonheads/here, the closest I've found to my car is £3400, and the next closest cars (almost identical apart from colour, mileage a little different but not much, and with shorter MOT) are coming in around £2600-£3100. As such I know the value they've given is in the right ball park, but was just wondering what people think if I tried to hold out for another £200-£300? I've got printouts from different ads including completed ebay auctions to back up prices. Anyone had any success "contesting" a price like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Some Random AXA Insurance Bloke
    Dear Mr Goldsmith

At the time of writing, your claim was being validated by my colleagues in the claims department, but has not yet been approved. In order to minimise disruption to you we have proceeded to assess the damage to your car on a without prejudice basis.
    Whilst I cannot make you a formal offer to settle your claim, I can confirm that, subject to your claim being approved, we will settle it on a Total Loss basis. The payment you will receive is calculated at the market value of the car being £2650.00, from which we will deduct your policy excess of

NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Worth a try and see what they say IMO. If they say yes, then your laughing, if they say no, your not really going to have lost or gained are you?
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is that the first offer? if so, say you want more, they always increase the price from the first offer.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    £200-£300 realistic though? I don't expect to get any more than £3k as that was the declared value when I took the policy out. Finding it really difficult to gauge the market for Coupes at the moment, one minute there's a 51 plate selling for £4k, the next there's an 04 going for £2k. there doesn't seem to be any correlation between age/mileage/condition and what they go for at the minute and it's damn annoying!!

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH I think they have made a pretty reasonable offer on the car given its age/mileage. It doesn't do any harm to look for more money off them, worst they can do is say no. Only thing to bear in mind is that it will hold up the length of time taken to pay out.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I was offered a settlement figure for my Zafira when it was written off, I argued that it was worth more because of the condition, mileage and extras, they upped the offer by £300, so worth trying for more.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    agree with dave on this one a bloke at work did the same when his son wrote of his mums clio my mate printed off 5-6 adds of the same car and sent it over they then gave him a higher price not a massive increase but a little extra worth ago
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im guessing that on your insurance papers, where it says value of car, it is listed as market value as thats what they have offered your for it. if so they wont budge. if however you have your car listed at £3000 for example, this is what they should pay you.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hate to point this out ben but however much you insure the car for they always pay out market value
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    as above ^^ it's declared as £3k, but this only means they'll pay market value UP TO the declared price of £3k. the certificate even says "< £3000"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast