Thread: Non fault Claim

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Non fault Claim

OK so the other week someone put their car into reverse, ignored my horn and reversed straight into me whilst trying to reverse around a corner into a road! CRAZY.

ANyway he has broken my bumper and the garage are saying its a new bumper jobby although doesnt look horrific. Anyway before contacting my insurance company to do the dealing with his insurance company I did a bit of reading online. A lot of people were saying if you have an accident which wasnt your fault and everything is claimed from the other persons insurance it still increases your insurance.

Now im 24 with 5 years no claims and my no claims is protected. However when speaking with Elephant (my insurance company) their reason for increasing your premiums is that if you have a non fault accident you are stitistically more likley to have a fault accident (go figure).

I have done a quotation online with them based on 1 non fault claim and it has put my insurance up £130 for next year and you have to declare it for the next 5 years so its anyones guess how much it will cost in the end.

Now I am left not wanting to claim as it will cost me less to replace the bumper myself. On the other side why should some bad driver who was not paying attention get off scott free whilst im the one forking up the bill.

Anyones experiances / comments are welcome.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    speak to the other driver see if they will pay for a bumepr as they have to pay excess anyway and might work out better for them in the long run
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fingz999 View Post
    speak to the other driver see if they will pay for a bumepr as they have to pay excess anyway and might work out better for them in the long run
    i'd say this as well, as they'll have a fault claim and their insurance will go up in the long run too

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah chatted to him. He is saying its only a crack and a bit of filler and touch up will be fine. Think he only wants to give me like £50. The car bodyshops have all said its a new bumper and range from £400 to £650. its not likley to cost near that if I get a secondhand jobby but I will be a bit pissed to accept £50 for it. Ive looked into his insurance and the company he is through has a minimum excess of £100 so thinking £150 may be acceptable as is better than putting it through the insurance company. Still a bit gutted its gonna cost me some money for something that was not my fault.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't see how it will put your insurance up if it's not your fault and you have your no claims protected. Does that not mean you can claim 3 times in 2 years without affecting your premium?

If not then why pay to protect them? Asking as i have 7 years protected

Status
    Mentioned in
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    that bull mate, i went though evans halstaw as it was a non fault claim and all work done though vauxhall and they get in touch with the other parties insurance company, also you get a like for like car!!! I had a golf GT few abit which was nice! My insurance company didnt need to know as it there fault and u dont claim as it there fault not yours!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigphilbaby View Post
    that bull mate, i went though evans halstaw as it was a non fault claim and all work done though vauxhall and they get in touch with the other parties insurance company, also you get a like for like car!!! I had a golf GT few abit which was nice! My insurance company didnt need to know as it there fault and u dont claim as it there fault not yours!
    The insurance company do need to know even if it is a non fault claim. When you apply for insurance the question is "have you had an accident within the last 5 years regardless of fault". Try it for yourself. Im with Elephant. I have double checked what they have said by doing 2 online quotes. 1 with a non fault claim and 1 without. All the other details are the same. The 1 with a non fault accident was £130 odd more per year.

Your no claims bonus is still intact. Say for example normally the insurace would be £1000 per year and you get a 50% discount because of your no claims bonus then your premium will be £500 per year. What Elephant are saying is that if you have had a non fault accident the normal premium is increased to say for example £1200 a year. You then still get your discound for having a no claims bonus a saving again of say 50% but this time you end up paying £600 for your yearly insurance.

Its a bloody crazy system and makes no sense to me at all but thats how it works. Anyone elses experiance of this will be much appreciated.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    go through the insurers, and then at renewal time just shop around. my wife had a non-fault claim and when we shopped round it worked out making bugger all difference to her price. it was just her renewal price from her existing insurers that had increased.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He'll only pay excess if he makes a claim on his insurancd to fix his car, no excess payable on repairs to third parties.
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fingz999 View Post
    they do not have to pay an excess for third party claims.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast