Hello everyone, Im hoping someone may be able to help or even point me in the right direction.
After driving for about 5 miles my Astra engine cut out and I had to pull over. I was doing about a constant 50Mph at the time. I tried restarting multiple times but It felt like the battery did not have enough juice to even turn the engine over. Also the spanner light was now flashing. Continual turning of the iginition just seemed to run the battery even flatter.
After calling the RAC, they plugged in the computer and the guy said it was registering an immobiliser fault (I wished I'd asked him what the exact fault code was because I believe there are 3 different ones). He didnt really help me much after that and towed me home and said i probably need to take it to a dealer.
My initial thought was that Alternator had failed or the battery was dud, and then subsequently it might have caused the immobiliser to have problems and register a fault.
I removed the battery and the indicator was black (which i understand means its flat). I put the battery on charge for a whole weekend, although I must say that after a few mins the charger went from 'charging' to 'ready and maintaining'.
When I tried the battery on monday morining it seemed to have a bit more juice but still the engine wouldnt turn over. So I got hold of a voltmeter and tested the battery which was reading 12.5v, which seems ok.
I then tried to jump the car with a friends battery, hoping that this would indicate the alternator was knackered on my car. but even running my friends car for 20 mins didn't even allow me to start mine. with my friends car running, the voltage across the battery went up to 14v as I would of expected due to his alternator.
So now I am completely stumped and dont want to face getting the car towed to a garage to get fleeced.Im starting the think it could be a faulty immobiliser that is stopping the car from starting? although I lost the immobilser chip from my key once and this at least still allowed me to start the engine for a second efoe it cut out.
for extra info, the car clicks when I turn the ignition and all the power from the onboard lights and clock drain for that second. Im assuming the clicking is the solenoid it the starter motor? also this may be a red herring and due to the fact i had windows down at the time, but i swear I could hear some sort of rubbing coming from outside (but could have just been road noise). I cant see anything obvious with wiring thats loose either.
any help would be much appreciated