Thread: BT broadband, free wifi???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

BT broadband, free wifi???

My parents are looking to change to BT instead of AOL as our ISP. Their website is clear as muck, and links that are supposed to tell you more take you to the BT shop!!
    What I am trying to find out is.....
    when you are a BT broadband customer do you get free BT Openzone wifi access???
    Hope someone can help,
    thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes you do.. thats what they refer to as free wifi, but I'm sure there is a download limit, so you wont be able to sit in McDonalds with your laptop and download shed loads of films... Also the unlimited downloads you get on BT's top package is 100gigs. It doesn't say it in the T&C's but my mate got a letter from BT saying he had gone over the FUP on his unlimited plan..

If you get BT Vision (why anyone would I have know idea) this will not eat into your download limit.
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    you don't get penalised for going over the 100gig limit, you get "slow-down". exactly the same as all the other ISPs, who ALL have fair usage policies even if they don't make it clear in their T&Cs.

you do get openzone minutes, how many you get will depend on your plan. you also get free access to BTFON which is basically where all BT BB customers can signup and use any of their "spare" bandwidth to create a free openzone around their house. BT's goal is to turn the whole of the UK into an openzone for existing BT customers.

I've got BT Vision as well by the way, can't fault it. It's like having Freeview, a PVR, all of the different niche sky channels such as Discovery, Warner, HBO etc all on demand, plus downloadable films like Sky Box office, all in one box. plus free ESPN and within the next couple of months I'll be able to get Sky Sports through it for under £10 per month. the whole package I pay for works out £16pm less than the equivalent from Sky, plus on top of Sky you still pay your BT line rental which I factored into the BT price already.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got BT Total Broadband, which gives access to Openzone and BTFON. Changed over from AOL a few years ago, can't fault the service, and very handy having the free Openzone.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do all mcdonalds still use openzone? i used to sell openzone but it was very slow ont eh uptake and not many buisnesses took it in the end i remember seeing it in mcdonalds but everytime my iphoen has connected its been called the cloud? as its free with a o2 iphone to connect to
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Mcdonalds use The Cloud.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Openzone can be found all over the place, i'm always picking them up on the works laptop. AFAIK if you go for package 3 (ultimate or whatever its called) you get unlimited openzone minutes.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    you don't get penalised for going over the 100gig limit, you get "slow-down". exactly the same as all the other ISPs, who ALL have fair usage policies even if they don't make it clear in their T&Cs.

you do get openzone minutes, how many you get will depend on your plan. you also get free access to BTFON which is basically where all BT BB customers can signup and use any of their "spare" bandwidth to create a free openzone around their house. BT's goal is to turn the whole of the UK into an openzone for existing BT customers.

I've got BT Vision as well by the way, can't fault it. It's like having Freeview, a PVR, all of the different niche sky channels such as Discovery, Warner, HBO etc all on demand, plus downloadable films like Sky Box office, all in one box. plus free ESPN and within the next couple of months I'll be able to get Sky Sports through it for under £10 per month. the whole package I pay for works out £16pm less than the equivalent from Sky, plus on top of Sky you still pay your BT line rental which I factored into the BT price already.
    Pete
    is there any chance you can list the channels that you get on the standard vision box? does it have the equivalent of sky+, I have been trying to find out the channel list from the website but its not clear.

Would consider it as an alternative from sky

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help. Do you have to set up anything in order to start using it? Or just create a username and password to log in on, or is that provided for you??
    I just need to try and find out what quantity of minutes you get for each package they offer.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    exactly the same as all the other ISPs, who ALL have fair usage policies even if they don't make it clear in their T&Cs..
    If you go on the sky unlimited package there is no fair usage policy or slow down during peak hours, that's the only ISP/package in the UK that has this. Of course your exchange has to be unbundled for that to work though