wash
    polish
    wax

do you need to polish or can you skip that and just

wash
    clay
    wash
    wax??

i have just bought the megs smooth as glass kit, it will be the first time ive clayed, this question is more about waxing after claying.. in the kit i bought i got some "Cleaner wax", do i wax with this or use the "carnumba wax" i have sitting in the garage? or does one go on before the other?? or are they essentially the same thing with a different name and it doesnt matter what one i use??

thanks guys, sorry for been a bit of an idiot, but i want to get it right for PVS
    Astra T9 estate for sale, see my ebay link!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1st option mate, when claying you strip the body of all containments including the protection, i.e wax/polish.

once you have clayed you need to build up the paint protection again with a few coats of polish and then seal it in with wax
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzie1984 View Post
    but the wife thinks its better to spend money on food and silly things like that.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    any ideas about the waxing question?

after all this how do i look after it, just a weekly wash and dry? or do i need to wax it weekly aswell?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not quite sure on the cleaner wax? i would just stick with the carnumba wax,
    i use auto glym hd wax and i find that awsome.

i wash it once a week and polish/wax every 6-8 weeks. some might disagree with me but thats what i do!!

you wont be disappointed with the megs clay kit, it will leave your paint feeling smooth like glass!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzie1984 View Post
    but the wife thinks its better to spend money on food and silly things like that.

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    bin the cleaner wax is basically useless, as for skiping the polish yes you can but there is no point as you will more than likely be waxing a swirly surface and the wax gloss will probably define it a bit more so for the sake of an hour you can wack a coat or 2 of SRP and then wax to seel your new shiny finish as for polishing every 6-8 weeks it will depend on the wax you use as if you have a durable wax you will be polishing ontop of that undoing any protection you had.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    thanks for the replys. i have autoglym super resin polish and megs carnumba wax in the garage so ideally want to use these so i dont have to buy new products. will the 2 be ok and work well together?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You cannot skip polish at all and you cannot do a few layers of polish because polish does not layer it removes.
    The most important thing about the look of a car is the preparation not the finish. If paintwork is not prepared well you can apply £30,000 solaris to it and it will look like a bag of shit. Think of wax as sellotape and think of a glossy magazine cover as the paintwork , put the sellotape over the top and the gloss gets glossier because its magnifying the finish and then sealing it in so all contaminations in the future are sitting on the wax or sealent not on the paintwork.
    The absolute ideal for any detail has to be to clay the car so that light hits a panel and reflects off perfectly , contamination distorts this. Once clayed its shine time , this only happens by polishing , wax will not polish anything and does nothing in this department so polishing is 90% of the final look.
    Once polished its wax or sealent time , if you want to darken paintwork go for a high % carnauba wax and if you want to lighten it go for a sealent as it will , depth and wetness is in the wax range and reflection and a glassy apperance are traits of sealents although rather plasticky looking but superb on flakes and pearls because sealents naturally magnify paintwork so they tend to bring out the hues better but if the car is badly swirled then steer clear because they will magnify swirls more.
    Heavenly Paintwork is simply Heaven Itself.