Thread: mk4 astra 1.6sxi 16v engine problem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question mk4 astra 1.6sxi 16v engine problem

I Hope someone can help me, I've got a astra mk4 02 sxi and have been having problems for the last few months. The car is ok in a low gear and in town but sometimes when i hit the motorway and i'm putting a high load through it i start to lose power and my emmisions light starts flashing. If i put the car into neutral for 10-15 seconds then put it back into gear (or pull over and re-start) the problems gone. I have a straight through exhaust and can hear my engine a bit easier than others. When i'm getting the problem my engine tone changes and car sounds like an impreza. I had a fault code reader on it in april and it said i had a problem with my EGR valve (it was quite badly blocked) and also at my 2nd cylinder. I replaced the EGR valve and also my coil pack. The coil pack was found to be faulty (at cylinder 2) after it was tested. I believed this was causing the missfire or change in engine tone, but I'm still getting the same problem and i dont want and can't afford to spend anymore money on it. Any help would be appreciated folks

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What brand of EGR valve did you fit? Anything but a Delphi one is likely to cause as many problems as the faulty one you removed. When my EGR was failing it showed the exact same symptoms as your car - bad running, emissions light flashing, but no error codes stored in ECU. Bought a cheap EGR valve, within 2 days the EML came on with EGR fault, sent it back, fitted a Delphi one and never looked back.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not too sure m8, but i dont think it was a delphi one. kinda regretting not getting original parts now. thanks for that, al let u know how i get on

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the same with the coil packs too. Anything but the genuine ones dont last unless you strike very lucky

As NRY says though, it does seem like classic EGR symptoms. Mine did exactly the same but used to cut out when I dipped the clutch when it was in a strop. On the upside it would bang out some cracking flames . Not too good for fuel consumption though
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for your posts, just had a boy look at it today. He reakons its a sticking valve. I'm still getting the same error codes. I'll get him to check my coil pack before going down the valve route, in case it has packed in. wont hurt to try and could save a bit of dough.