Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Right, tyre time. Stretch + budget = Falken

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    DaveCoupe's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Leyland, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,204
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Right, tyre time. Stretch + budget = Falken

    But which ones, 452s or 912s?

    I don't need to spend a mint on tyres as i probably do about 5k max a year, and with the rear being an extra degree negatively cambered they won't last forever.

    What does everyone suggest? I don't drive fast as my car is too heavy now and i only really do longish journeys or pretty normal driving.

    Cheers in advance
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

    Enquire within


  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    LordNikon's Avatar
    AOC Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    18,952
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    452 is softer the 912 on Jo's signum have lasted ok. not as grippy as the 452 and i think a diff tread pattern.

    It makes no difference, if you are being 2010 cool then you'll remove the tyre side markings anyway

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    Will2k1's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got 452's on my 18" twintop wheels, which I think are only 8J and they have a slight stretch on them. They are very grippy tyres as well, haven't given me any scary moments so far.
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    DaveCoupe's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Leyland, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,204
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon View Post
    452 is softer the 912 on Jo's signum have lasted ok. not as grippy as the 452 and i think a diff tread pattern.

    It makes no difference, if you are being 2010 cool then you'll remove the tyre side markings anyway
    yeah that's fair enough, but i don't want to buy the crappest gayest tyres and scrub the name off. i need something half decent

    falkens, from what I have read seem to have the best balance between price and performance. I have 2 Avon ZZ3s fitted but these have gone up about £8
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

    Enquire within


  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    pete soulby's Avatar
    AOC Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had 452's on my cab with 215/40/18 on 18'' vxr snowflakes and they lasted pretty well and were as grippy as a stretched tyre could get but i'd get through the rears about every 10k due to neg camber

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    DaveCoupe's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Leyland, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,204
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will2k1 View Post
    I've got 452's on my 18" twintop wheels, which I think are only 8J and they have a slight stretch on them. They are very grippy tyres as well, haven't given me any scary moments so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete soulby View Post
    I had 452's on my cab with 215/40/18 on 18'' vxr snowflakes and they lasted pretty well and were as grippy as a stretched tyre could get but i'd get through the rears about every 10k due to neg camber
    I'v got 8.5Js all round and the Avons have a slight stretch so i expect similar from the Falkens.

    10k would be fine, esp on negative camber. I don't even know how long i'll keep these wheels tbh but if I do they tyres should last me a good 2-2.5 years
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

    Enquire within


  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    Dannywrc's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,062
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i got the 912's not so long ago and cant fault them. i had dunlop sports on before and theres not much difference apart from the price x 3

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    Ben_M's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,057
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've got 452's on mine and they're great, i think one difference between the 452's and the 912's is that the latter has a bigger shoulder for rim protection

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    DaveCoupe's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Leyland, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,204
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1988m View Post
    i've got 452's on mine and they're great, i think one difference between the 452's and the 912's is that the latter has a bigger shoulder for rim protection
    well that's what i DON'T want
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

    Enquire within


  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    Hoops's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,335
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah ive got the 912's all round, not stretched but seem to be ok. Yeah as stated rim protection on the 912's.
    Astra Mk4 SRi Turbo Blog - Feel free to comment both good or bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tyre Stretch
    By linea_rossa in forum Car Chat (other marques/models)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 10:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •