Thread: Mk5 Astra airbox de-restricted

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk5 Astra airbox de-restricted

decided to ditch the pipercross cone filter and sort out the airbox. started by painting the airbox cover silver to match the car. I then removed the lower pipe insert in the bottom half of the box. Theres a pipercross panel filtter on its way so had to use the paper filter for now.

I went to the scrappy today to look for an intake pipe without the bends and dead ends and found 2 possibles. There was a 2l petrol vectra one that was huge and ran across the top of the rad to the right hand side of the grill. decided that this one might need a bit too much playing to get it to fit. there was a mk4 astra diesel there too with a pipe that looked perfect for the job so i bought it for £5.

Anyway the tools needed to fit the pipe are a t25 torx, 13mm ratchet. Parts needed: large washer. Time to do: 5mins

the old and new pipe

i started by removing the torx screws as below and removed the grill

next the 3 x 13mm bolts and the torx screw were removed to allow the inlet pipe to be slid out.

to fit the new inlet pipe it was just a case of swapping it with the old one and using the torx screw and a washer to secure it. when i put the grill on the pipe looked like it was sat quite high so i took the grill back off and fixed a nut between it and the bodywork as shown in the pic. whether its worth doing or not i dont know but with it not resting on the bodywork im sure the extra airflow around the pipe will help with cooling the air slightly?

the pipe before adjustment

after

if anyone wants the old pipe to have a play around with let me know and ill post it to you. was gonna try and mod it myself but found this one for a fiver.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    does anyone know of anything you can wrap the inlet pipe and intake pipe with that will keep it from heating up as much?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Exhaust heat wrap? Wondered something like this myself and the best I could come up with without being silly on ceramic lined pipework was some polished steel pipes and a chrome airbox as these would reflect the heat a bit...spraying them white would help too but the white wouldn't stay white long under the bonnet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just something to keep the heat off the airway that looks ok too. is the exhaust wrap the stuff you see exhaust manifolds wrapped in? done my brakes white stupidly, looked ok for a few months but theyr stained badly now so need to colour change on the weekend. iv painted the airbox silver for now