Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ignition jammed off

Hi guys
    I have a 2000 'V plate' astra and the ignition is jammed in the off position and cant be turned on. Had the AA out this morning and they believe it is the steering lock pin having dropped and jamming the ignition in the off position. Having stripped all the shrouding off from behind the steering wheel I cannot remove the barrel. I know that you have to turn the key a quarter of a turn and push the pin down to remove the barrel, but as the barrel is totally locked up does anyone have any ideas how to get the barrel out.

cheers guys

Chris

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    a big hammer.... no piss take, it may come to something like that, its designed to be stubbon as its the main mecanical security device on your car
    Astra T9 estate for sale, see my ebay link!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This happened to me last week. Couldn't take the steering lock off or even turn the key to start the engine. I sprayed WD40 in it and nothing happened. I called out a local recovery firm who towed my car to the garage whom i purchased it from (still under warrenty)

But they tried to get the car going to. Again they sparyd WD40 on the barrel and low and behold it turned, and has been fine ever since.

A mate said if the barrel /pins have collapsed then you wouldn't be able to get the key in too or of the barrel.

Apparently this is a common problem on Astra's, so keep palying with it. It will eventually work.
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.