Thread: Strange Knocking.... Driveshafts?!??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Strange Knocking.... Driveshafts?!??

Good Evening folks, I need to pick your collective brains! LOL...

Can you tell me whether Zafira GSI z20let driveshafts are suitable for the Mk4 Astra Coupe?!?!? I did an engine conversion and although the engine sounds great, I have a really bad knocking when lightly depressing the throttle and putting load on the motor. It's also a little "knocky" when turning at slow speeds... When putting the driveshafts in I was told that they seemed a little long. Took it to the local National Tyres and slipped the wee guy a few quid to check whether it was ma stainless steel exhaust knocking against the tunnel when the engine leaned during acceleration but he said the zorst is fine but the driveshafts look like they are mis-aligned?!?!? I looked at the engine and mounts don't seem to offer too much in the way of play, so I'm just wondering whether the Coupe GSI had shorter ones than the Zaffy.

My previous engine was a 2.2 and the driveshafts looked completely incompatible with the little bracket at the back of the engine on the longest (offside?!?) shaft.

Thanks as always for your anticipated accurate & thoughtful responses as always. Very much appreciated & all the best!

P.S. Z20let is a feckin fantastic engine.... I have caught the bug and the new wide-arch kit is taking up half my living room awaiting the bodyshop working their magic

Big up to Logan (Gourock) & Jim (Dumbarton) for all their help with the conversion btw! Many a freezing night and skint knuckles later, we're finally getting there!!! LOL

Cheers,
    John H

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Meant to add, the engine sounds fine parked & standing with no load on it - revs as it should and sounds tip-top which makes me think the fella was right about the driveshafts but wanted to check with AS before I go spending more money!!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any ideas folks? thx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    am lead to believe the N/S shaft fits all as its the short one, not to sure on the O/S shaft though
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had my engine change in my old z22se and it developed a knocking sound which i was told sounded like the drive shaft, took it to a different garage for a second opinion and it turned out to be the front engine mount was loose!!

like you it knocked/ clunked when pulling away, heavy breakin or hard cornering?

might be a shout mate?
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzie1984 View Post
    but the wife thinks its better to spend money on food and silly things like that.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thx guys, i'll have a look at the mounts again it's just a little blip on whats otherwise a wee powerhouse just need to book the RR and see what my baseline is before tampering! Hahaha