Thread: Engine Management Light coming on after cleaning throttle body?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine Management Light coming on after cleaning throttle body?

Hey guys, I was having loads of ICV problems... Stalling on idle, revs fluctuating up and down etc.. So I took it to my mate who's got a garage.. and he took out the throttle body and cleaned it with petrol.. We left it to dry for a few hours and fit everything back together... The stalling seems to have stopped so I think that's sorted.. But the engine management light is now on.. Is there any reason for this?

He's asked me to bring it back on monday to get rid of the light but i'm wondering why the light is on in the first place? Is there any way to check? Is it the pedal test or something?

Also, after going for a quick blast, there is a slight cut in power at about 2000rpm.. why is this after we've just cleaned the throttle body?

any ideas?

The car in question is a 1999 Astra 2.0 SRi (dont know what engine code that is?)

cheers guys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the X20XEV u have and the pedal test is no good, however the paperclip test should work - essentially its a case of briding pins 5 & 6 on the OBD port and counting the sequence of flashes of the EML on the dash

details here:

better still, why not ask in ur regional forum, see if anyone has opcom or similar and they can run a full diagnostics on their laptop to see all the data - may even be better than ur "mate" at the garage - especially if they wanna fleece u at the same time!

whenever i clean any TBs or similar, i always disconnect the ECU so any lights are removed etc

u can try this, or disconnect the battery for half hour, or turn the ignition on then off 20 times (wait for self check lights - eg airbag etc) to go off first each time....

but ideally read the code first if u can get the paperclip test to work, THEN clear it how i mentioned above.

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll have a search around for the paperclip test and give this a go tomorrow mate and let you know how I get on..

Your link didnt work by the way?

Thanks for the help