Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing and Waxing a White Car?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Polishing and Waxing a White Car?

Hi Guys,

Firstly am no stranger to washing my cars, as I do so once or twice a week inside and out, I hate a dirty car drives me potty!!

Last Monday I picked up my new White MK5 Astra which came complete with paint protection! Having already washed it twice this week, I thought it would be best to get a few coats or polish and wax just to make life even easier!

As a trip to Halfords was already on the cards, I took it upon myself to buy a few Auto Glym products as they were on 3 4 2 offer which they run every now an again! I've always used Auto Glym because I've always found they’ve worked well and the added fact I don’t want to be going out buying products unknowing if there gunna be any better! But I'm open to advice, if theirs more suitable products for a white car?

Anyway I came away with Super Resin Polish and Aqua Wax having spoken to a fairly knowledgeable
    employee. I still wonder I would get any sort of benefit from adding claying to the process, or anything else for that matter

Cheers Guys, Matt

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for a wax i would recomend Collinite No. 476S its very durable and i use it on my white estate comes up well and the four coats last 3 months

GET IT HERE

Im sure one of the guys who knows more will be along soon to offer their superb advice
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    he wasnt that knowledgable, aqua wax is shite, as i imagine the "total protection" the came with will be. For white, I'd be looking at some Auto Glym HD Wax.

And claying is always a good idea
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    he wasnt that knowledgable, aqua wax is shite, as i imagine the "total protection" the came with will be. For white, I'd be looking at some Auto Glym HD Wax.

And claying is always a good idea
    Thanks pal, is the HD wax really worth the cost? An how often do you re-apply it? An what sort of difference is clay going to
    make?

Cheers Matt

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HD Wax is very good and is worth the cost if you prep the paint first. wash,clay,wash,dry, polish, wax.
    there's a guide to what products are best for different colours in this section. worth a look. if you don't want to splash out on a full pot of wax, some are available as sample pots such as dodo juice. should get about 10 coats out of a sample pot at least-if you apply nice thin coats.
    haven't done a white car yet but i'd try dodo light fantastic after polish or cyc have a finishkare sample kit that has all sorts in tho you'll need a decent polish as it doesn't come with one.
    get pics up once your sorted
    WHAT? AH! NO, I LOST IT

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks pal, well I've ordered a pot of HD wax of a mate who's a valeter so I can get it abit cheaper as from the likes of Halfords! As for claying, I don't think I'll bother, the cars only done 3000 miles! The cars been used as demo in a vax garage, so it's never really had a good clean until I've bought it! I'll keep you guys posted on how things go, gunna need a couple of cool night to get it all sort!

Cheers for the help guys!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i use HD wax on my white astra and for me it seems to last forever! 2-3 coats lasts a good 4-5months for me and it looks pretty good aswell

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seriously mate, clay the car regardless of the mileage, you'll be suprised at what comes off.

I clayed my VXR with 8 miles on the clock and still got stuff out of the paint.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    %20%20%20[/IMG]

Here is a few pictures a took a few days ago. if the weather alright in the morning, i'll be getting the HD on there fro PVS on Sunday!!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you don't get the wax on there mate, then all your hard work will have gone to waste.

Car looks clean enough, remember the final finish is all down to your prepwork
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast