Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clutch Renewal

Clutch Renewal
    Hi there, new guy in a bit of confusing trouble, maybe expensive trouble just wondering if anyone can help?

My clutch went on the way home from london the other day an iv just had a quote for a new one, over £500

Apparently its because I have a dual mass flywheel which is why its expensive?

Iv got a 2.0L DTI Sportive with a Y20DTH engine an a F23 box, am I definatly running a dual mass flywheel?

Basically what I want to know is, If I am, is there a conversion kit for this engine/box to be just put to a normal flywheel to be a little cheaper now an in the future? If so where can i get one from an how much am I looking at?

Also, whelst im changing the clutch, weather I can convert the flywheel or not, is there anything else should I be changing whelst its all apart?

Straight replace:
    Dual mass flywheel
    Clutch
    Slave cylinder

Converting:
    Flywheel conversion kit
    Clutch
    Slave cylinder

Anyone think of anything else I need to change? Do i definatly need to change the dual mass flywheel when putting a new clutch on?

Thanks in advance for your help people, it will be greatly appriciated. Work is tight out there at the moment an with no van an a massive bill to fix it, its even harder .

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    You may not need to replace the flywheel, if it is still in good condition. Garages normally replace them because dual mass ones are notorious for failing and it's not worth taking the risk. I recently put a second hand flywheel and clutch from a breakers on a mercedes van - because it was £100 for the parts compared to £700 for new! I looked up the tolerances for the flywheel - which was simply the amount of movement between the two halves of the flywheel - and checked the new one. It was within those limits and has been working fine since then.
    There are conversion kits available for some cars but I can't see any vauxhall ones on a quick google.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As richardw says, you may not need to replace the dual mass flywheel if the play is within tolerance.
    Regarding a solid flywheel conversion sometimes these can cause more vibration from the drivetrain. I used to run transits and these have major problems with dual mass failure. I changed to a solid flywheel on my first transit and hardly noticed a change at all. However the next transit I had was a completely different van to drive after the conversion, it was awful. It massively increased vibrations, especially if the engine was under slight labour. If you do a google search I am sure you will find many conflicting issues for/against solid conversions.