Thread: Turbo upgrade

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Turbo upgrade

My turbo has started showing the signs of leaking oil seals which is the ideal excuse to upgrade. I dont want a VXR one as they seem to be just as gay as the standard ones so was looking at something a bit bigger. Ive seen a few people on migweb use ebaytech specials and use t3/t4 hybrids. My knowledge on turbo sizes and fitments is pretty much nothing so what would be needed to fit a t3 or gt28 size turbo to my astra? And how much power can I run before the internals decide to become externals?

I had looked at T4 size turbos but they look massive.
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    330bhp is known to be the absolute limit, though less boost pressure may mean you can get away with more power, someones running near 400bhp on standard internals, to fit a turbo other then the k04 youll need a manifold, downpipe, and oil/water fixings, and dependant on turbo a wastegate and dumpvalve

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joereynolds89 View Post
    330bhp is known to be the absolute limit, though less boost pressure may mean you can get away with more power, someones running near 400bhp on standard internals, to fit a turbo other then the k04 youll need a manifold, downpipe, and oil/water fixings, and dependant on turbo a wastegate and dumpvalve
    Theres some nutter who lives round my way been running 460 odd bhp on std internals in a corsa for about a year now but its just not a sensible ammount of power to use . 300-320 is ideal to still be able to use the car and have enough poke for some serious fun .

New manifold downpipe and fixings sounds like a arse on, especially given the current state of the manifold bolts. Are there any aftermarket k04 turbos that would be a direct fit but more reliable than the vauxhall items?

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    You can get them uprated Steve. Turbo Dynamics & Turbo Technics will do it for you.

I got my VXR uprated by TD, pretty happy with it at the moment. I believe Kev and Mark have also had theirs uprated - even further than mine.

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=219461

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there lots of turbo options but depends on your wallet.If you dont want to spend loads get the turbo sent off for inspection and see if its ok to upgrade it with 360 thrust bearing and twin seals...if i was you i wouldnt push for much more than 280-300bhp on std internals or you could be sitting on a time bomb

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    how much do you want to spend
    this will work out what Manifold you can go for then get a turbo to suit the manifold
    LMF sell a nice manifold but its near £800 off top of my head

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by npd View Post
    You can get them uprated Steve. Turbo Dynamics & Turbo Technics will do it for you.

I got my VXR uprated by TD, pretty happy with it at the moment. I believe Kev and Mark have also had theirs uprated - even further than mine.

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=219461

That is indeed some interesting information. If I could get my standard unit to hold more boost safely it would kill several birds with one stone. So with what you had done to yours, how much boost will it hold now? And mine is definately very worse for wear. It sounds like a kettle boiling on low boost then makes some mad sort of grindy screamy noise at high rpm

Quote Originally Posted by inmyvain View Post
    there lots of turbo options but depends on your wallet.If you dont want to spend loads get the turbo sent off for inspection and see if its ok to upgrade it with 360 thrust bearing and twin seals...if i was you i wouldnt push for much more than 280-300bhp on std internals or you could be sitting on a time bomb
    Wallet is feeling a little bit deep for now. Probs got about 1k to squander on it for now. If needs must there is more but ideally everything after the £1000 is nurburgring funds so would like that left untouched

Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18 View Post
    how much do you want to spend
    this will work out what Manifold you can go for then get a turbo to suit the manifold
    LMF sell a nice manifold but its near £800 off top of my head
    As above mate. Ive got no problems with manifiolds. I know a lad who makes them and will create a tubular manifold with pretty much any normal turbo fitment at mates rates for £200. His work is top quality too

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    if you can get a manifold made then thats the hard part
    next get a turbo
    oil an water lines are easy an cheap to make up

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18 View Post
    if you can get a manifold made then thats the hard part
    next get a turbo
    oil an water lines are easy an cheap to make up
    so what size turbo suits my application? I want something running a happy level of boost (about 15-20psi) and running 300bhp. Is a GT28 too big for that?

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    My turbo is still fairly standard and no map, but it is about 9PSI, overboost maybe 12, but I don't have a gauge fitted at the moment...

Kev just got his back and fitted. His first outing will be the meet on monday. You should have a chat with him. Off the top of my head the TD VXR uprated turbo is about £750. That is what he got I believe and he is running CS4ish 290BBHP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast