Thread: Astra GSI16v - Restoration

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Astra GSI16v - Restoration

Lets rewind back to December 9th 2009, where I drove to pick up this rough looking 1992 Astra GSi16v.
    I was to be the 3rd owner from new, with the last owner owning the car since 2years old. In its first 2 years she was registered to Salford Vauxhall.
    With only 116k documented miles, although bodywork is rough, i knew she'd be the perfect car to restore.

Heres my story...

Here are the orignal ebay photos

Then once I got her home. As you can see the infamous vauxhall flame pink had overtaken, and her true red gloss was long lost.

As soon as I got her back I wanted to see if her paint could be restored.
    Out came the Clearkote blue clay, and then a quick machine polish to reveal...

not great, but better than before

While waiting for the car to be booked into the bodyshop, I decided to get some OE gauges into the interior, the only modification im considering carrying out on the interior. I like to think of it as an oe upgrade though
    - Calibra gauges -

I have seen some people do this before but think it looks poo really. so I had an idea to make it look OE, whilst being able to still have a 12v socket, and also a coin tray.
    so.....a vectra b ashtray console.

I started by cutting out the astras ashtray area with a dremel and junior hacksaw.

After this point I realised that fitting the vectra unit and the calibra gauges just wasnt going to happen. so as i started to dismantle to vectra unit, i came across an idea for beanth the gauges.
    a chopped/glued space, where i will be putting the 12v socket in the right hand corner.

and finished...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Then onto the restoration...

The above three photos were taken after a so-called bodyshop was going to fix the rot problem.
    I swiftly moved the car away from them and onto a better bodyshop

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    And onto todays detail

Before

Swirls evident

Car hit with snowfoam first of all to remove any loose dirt, although the car was pretty clean to begin with

Sprayed Billberry on the wheels

And cleaned with a meguiars brush

Badges and door shuts clean with Chemical guys orange degreaser and a meguiars brush

Gsi was then washed with 2BM using a meguiars lambswool mitt and Poorboys shampoo, then rinsed off at high pressure using the Karcher

Car was then clayed with Clearkote clay bar. This was the worst of it after doing the whole car. Very little contamination

GSi was then dried of using megs detail spray and a plush cobra yellow towel. Was my first time using this towel and Im very pleased with it

Gsi was then moved into the garage to start the polishing. Swirls were evident, and the bonnet was in very poor condition not matching the rest of the immaculate bodywork.
    Id previously hit to with Lime Prime, and Menz rb3.02 using sonus pads, but my desired level of correction or gloss wasn’t achieved. I placed an order for Megs 85, and Megs 9, as well as Lake Country compounding and polishing pads which was to be my arsenal for today.

I masked off a section of the bonnet to see if this option was going to prove useful

As you can see, bonnet section is now very glossy, albeit not corrected 100% but still a finish I am happy with

Then I kind of lost track and forgot to take photos, but here are the finished ones. Showing no swirls in the direct sunlight. Paint has orange peel, which im not too pleased about, but will try and rectify this on another occasion.

As the sun was so bright the finish pictures arent that great, but I have also added some from last week too (albeit before any polishing)

And there we go

Its an ongoing project, so expect updates for those interested. Still got to do a proper detail on the engine bay and interior

C & C welcome

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    heres an update from the weekend

bought a new battery for the GSi today as the old one kept going flat.
    Also rewired the lighting for the Calibra gauges, so they work nicely now, and i wired the remote locking unit so that the indiocators flash when the car is locked/unlocked.

heres some pics of her

and one with a sneak peek of the engine bay...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    had the car from thursday til saturday havingt headgasket kit and timing belt kit done. so took the chance to paint up the rocker cover.

got home from work today, whipped off my bonnet vents. Got some unigrit 2500 and wetsanded them as they hand faded pretty badly with some RDS.
    Once sanded out came the rotary, and megs 85. You can see the difference....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    thanks for all the comments guys

right, another few hours work tonight, and another update

more wetsanding. this time to the top of the doors and down the pillars to the windscreen. same process as yesterday. Meguiars #85 diamond cut compound followed by meguiars #9, then chemical guys wet mirror finish, but then this time wax of choice was Clearkote carnauba moose.

I'll just let the pics do the talking, its pretty obvious what each picture shows lol. Oh also had to wetsand and polish my passenger door mirror

sanding begins...

some nice chips and scratches on the bonnet...

taped up and ready...

50/50s...

waxed...

state of the mirror..

scratches filled in. allowing to harden before i wet sand the bonnet at the weekend

finished mirror and finished bit above the doors...