Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a VXR . . . . Something fishy?!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Buying a VXR . . . . Something fishy?!

Hi guys,

After three years of driving my coupe i have been looking around for a new car.
    I have settled on a VXR Astra.

I went to see one the other day at a local dealer (non Vauxhall). Its black, 2007 with 34,000 miles on the clock . . . . looking for £11.995.
    So anyway, it's in good shape, wheels are in need of a refurb and a couple of small marks in the paintwork but overall i was well impressed.

So I came home to check out my finances and make up my mind.
    I decided to do an HPI check for peace of mind.... it seems the car has had 3 owners in less than 3 years. That kind of threw me as my coupe is seven years old and im the second owner.

My worst fear is that there is something wrong with the car, however it could also just be people have bought it and decided to jump ship to something more economical.

What do you guys think?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I reckon it was probably pre registered when first purchased. Alot of people are switching to Diesels now. The VXR at a combined of 34mpg really isnt very good at all. That along with the recession probably explains the history. I wouldn't worry about it. I would however have a look around to see common faults on VXR at different milages though as people sometimes sell just before or upgrade. Have a look for clutch wear etc
    Astra H 5dr 1.9 cdti (150) XP DTUK ECO 3
    Mods by Pecky! CC, CD70+Aux,Total Closure, Anti Hijack, Check Control, Bluetooth, CID startup screen

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it from a vauxhall dealership and covered under the network q warranty?? if so get it bought. if there is anything in the slightest wrong it will be covered under the warranty!
    At the end of the day, it gets dark!!!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its not from a network q garage, independant dealer.

I dont know what to do, I dont want to lay down big money then discover I've been had, you know?

Number of previous keepers 3

Most recent keeper change 02/09/2009

Dates of other changes
    22/05/2008
    02/07/2007

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best thing to do is get some pics fired up on all the owners clubs and see if you can maybe stumble across a previous owner or someone who knows the car. This happened to me on here quite recently. The previous owner recognised my car and confirmed to me it was a good example, and it's reassuring to find out the car has not had an abused history or any unwanted nasty surprises

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id be the same as you mate,id give it a miss,cause when you think problems they allways end up happenin.no reason you cant look around and find another around the same price range.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also as barter states, if you have a niggle then walk away. As you will never feel 100% with the car and always looking for issues. I have only had the astra 2 months and the misfire has almost made me want to sell up, but now that i know the fault and if the new part fixes it i will fall in love with it all over again

If in doubt.....leave it. Always be another ten available next week

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its a real bummer because i have been looking for one for around 4weeks now, not many around my area. This one seemed almost perfect.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you are dead set on getting it i would ask around VXR online, astra-vxr.com and even mig. Get threads up everywhere as the chances of finding someone who knows the car will be higher.

The opinion of a previous owner will be unbiased and trustworthy, better than that of a dealer anyway.

EDIT: Not going with the Arden, it's too common anyway, nice choice in colour in the black

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No offence to anyone who has Arden blue but its just not my thing. Seems to shout VXR, subtle is best (just my opinion).

Apparently it used to be on the plate "M888 VXR". That plate is now on a diesel Astra but in between times seems to have been on a VXR8. . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast