Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mate hit a cyclist....her fault or not?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mate hit a cyclist....her fault or not?

Correct me if i am wrong here.

Just been on phone to very good mate, she tells me she hit a cyclist on sat morning. She says it wasnt entirely her fault so i said well tell me what happened. I get told what has happened and imo it is all her fault.

Here is a view of where her car was roughly positioned using google streetview. She was on Hopeton Street waiting to turn right onto Marjoribanks Street.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...=12,69.29,,0,5

She told me she was waiting to turn right to go onto another road at junction and that she was waiting on cars going past so she could menover over. Anyway, she said she looked twice before turning right slowly and thats when she hit the cyclist coming down the hill who had right of way.
    He went over her car bonnet, smashed windscreen etc, he ended up with scratches, bruised ribs.
    She then goes on to tell me that she says it wasnt entirely her fault as she looked twice etc and that she is a good driver and that she says it was also the cyclists fault to which i cannot understand why because she says he was going to fast....but how does she know that if she never saw him? I tried to point this out to her but i got moaned at for not being supportive
    This is the bit that annoyed me a bit, she said to me that if the cyclist decides to pursue this and try get compensation etc then she is going to say that it was all the cyclists fault and that she is gonna fight him all the way.

I dont understand as imo she has no leg to stand on, she said she looked twice before turning off road to go onto other road but why would you look twice? She was stationary so you should be looking ahead all the time to see when its save to turn right onto road.

She then starting ranting on about how the cyclist was angry at her and how the offduty paramedic never bothered to check how she was sayin that he was unprofessional and that he had a cheek to shout at her asking her to move her car as she left it in middle of road causing traffic build up. She was breathalyzed and it was clear but she ranted at me saying that the cyclist should of been brathalyzed aswell.
    I tried to tell her that the human eye will mostly only notice cars on road but she choose to not believe me then ranted on about how she is a careful driver etc. I tried to say that its no diff to hitting a car or a motorbike as she would still be in wrong an she completely agreed with me

So do you think she is in wrong or not?

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Her fault, it was the cyclists right of way, she must have just been subconsciously watching for cars, not bikes.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    agreed with let, your mates fault! she pulled out on the cyclist who had right of way on the road. Hopefully she will admit this very quickly because if the cyclist decides to claim against her and she won't accept full responsibility its gonna be a very costly court case for her!
    http://uk.movember.com/mospace/3132765
    Please Donate Generously

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Even if it's a 30mph zone, that is damn fast for a cyclist to maintain. (I've done it a few times).

Legs spinning ten to the dozen, would be hard to mistake that for a slow moving cyclist.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    110% her fault....no arguements. as you have rightly said most people look for cars when pulling out at a junction and without realising we dont even look for cyclists etc. i ride my bike quite a lot, used to ride into work in London, and it is scary the lack of respect cyclists get from car drivers. On the flip side of the coin though there are also cyclists that deserve to get knocked off their bike, but dont think this is 1 of those occasions.

unfortunately its the current "its someone elses fault" mentality we live in at the present time.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tees2.2 View Post
    the cyclist coming down the hill who had right of way.
    The bold bit is all you really need to know. Tell her she's an idiot, although going by her reaction to being told to not leave the car parked in the middle of the road that seems pretty obvious anyway

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Shoot the cyclist ( EVERY cyclist) and bury the body, remember dead men tell no tails!
    1.7 DTi Estate

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Shoot the cyclist ( EVERY cyclist) and bury the body, remember dead men tell no tails!
    Thats you off my christmas card list then (yes i'm a cyclist)
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    She is 100% at fault and if she decides to fight it, she'll be left with a big bill and payout to the cyclist.
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have tried to tell her all this but she says he is just trying to get money. I said to her that he will probably want his bike replaced to which she then said 'he can go through his own insurance to get that'. I tried to tell her that it dont work like that and that he probably doesn't or wont have bike insurance(not sure if such a thing) to which she then ranted on about that saying all cyclists should have insurance.

I feel kinda bad for pointing out to her that she was in wrong

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast