Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cleaning alloy wheels.

Hi all.

I'm getting the hump keep cleaning my brothers multispoke wheels with a wash mit, theres 20 spokes on the poxy things.
    Is there any type of stuff I could just spray on and hose off that I can buy off the shelf and not online?

I was told by a bloke that I know that citrus cleaner is good for wheels but I'm not 100% sure the bloke knows what he's talking about as he told me that when cleaning a car I shold wax it b4 polish so thought i'd ask on hear first.

I have found this in b&q but I'm not sure if its acid based.
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...&isSearch=true

Would that be good for what I want to do with out ****ing up the paint and also the wheel wear its kurbed?

chears

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    don't use the same mitt that you use on the car. Go onto www.cleanyourcar.co.uk and search for some bilberry wheel cleaner. Dilute it down 1:1 with water in a spray bottle. Spray on, work in with a SOFT brush then rinse thoroughly. Also, get some Poorboy's wheel sealant and apply that to the wheels when they're dry.

And you polish before wax (not that I trust you're using a proper wax).
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Billberry is a good cleaner if your wheels are in good shape, another alternative is autobrite very cherry but you will find that to be a stickier product and if left for more than a few seconds it will become tacky on your wheels, I stear clear of it for that purpose alone tbh.

What you have to consider also is that some manufacturers worry that Ammonium bifluoride is being marketed as a safe alternative to highly-corrosive Hydrofluoric acid, even though the two chemicals pose nearly identical health risks.

Back to cleaning properties I would consider dodo juice mellow yellow wheel cleaner, though this is acid based it is designed as a targeted cleaner aiming solely at the dirt deposits of the wheel.

It is always a wise deceison that when using any form of wheel cleaner you must rinse the wheel and brake areas thoroughly.

Both acids and alkali's still hold as much damging properties as the next even more so depending on what forms of acid is in the cleaner or form the other side of things the level of caustics there are and I have it on good authority that though billberry is a "safe" wheel cleaner it is still haigh in caustic's as to is very cherry.

If the wheels are in good shap i would stick to using shampoo or at most a form of all purpose cleaner like meguiars apc.

Also valetpro blue gel wheel cleaner is a very good product if you want to give the wheels a deeper clean.
    This is another acid based formula but very effective and not to aggresive.
    The dilution rate is good and with it being a gel formula it actually clings to the wheel which reduces run off.
    http://www.valetpro.co.uk/Products/E...l-Cleaner---1L

This is a little wright up I did after a test run with it:

I got my better half to order some more bilberry all safe the other day as I was running low and needed something with a little more kick for any nasty caked up wheels so curiosity got the better of me and I asked her to get some of gregs blue gel also.
    Now I know not many people like the word "acid" and im not to keen on the stuff myself but here me out.
    Today I had a regs lotus exige s which i havent done for about a month.
    The car to say the least is used as a lotus exige s should be................drive it like you stole it is the term
    Due to the exessive heat and hard breaking the car goes under the insides of the wheels were somewhat caked up and slightly pitted so a general wheel cleaner wasnt going to cut the grain.
    The gauntlet was dropped so out came the blue gel ready for the test.
    I dilluted 1:3 as not to go to aggressive ( it can be used neat or 50/50 ) sprayed on and even though it was quite runny it just clung to the wheel not dripping one bit at all............I was quite taken a back by the level of contact cling it had.
    I left the cleaner to do its work for all of a minute and worked it with the usual brushing method and found it was an absolute dream to work round the wheels, no sticky mess just as workable as a normal cleaner such as bilberry all safe.
    To say it did a good job is an understatement..............it irradicated all of the caked on break dust and removed near on all the pitted sections without so much as one ounce of elbow grease involved.
    Rinsed down with a hose and it just rinsed off to a spotless finish with no dulling to the wheels finish what so ever.
    Im completely sold on this product and hat off to greg for creating such a brilliantly clever product.

This is better used with the wheels off the car and obviously once the wheels have been cleaned any last deposits can be attempted with a tar remover.
    Autoglym intensive tar remover is a good one off the shelf.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOGLYM-INTEN...item3ca9287dcd

A final session with clay then i would avise using something like dodo juice lime prime lite to cleanse the wheels then seal them with poorboys world wheel sealant or an equivelant.
    after this a simple shampoo will be all thats needed to clean them.

One last safe wheel cleaner which is a little unmentioned:
    http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,80,toView_797.html

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    or go here to the people who make billberry for all the detailing dealers

http://www.anchemchemicals.co.uk/det...oycleaner.html

the delivery is 6 pounds but it is a flat rate of up to 20kg of products, buy some hyper shampoo aswell it's cheap and very very good

i dont actually rate billberry, autosmart smart wheels is better/cheaper, or if that cant shift it autosmart ali (acidic wheel cleaner)

theres new gel wheel cleaners now that dont run off the wheels, they stick to them, chem guys diablo which can be diluted, and autobrite brite gel which cant be diluted, well it can but they dont recommend it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I actually forgot I posted this, thanks for the replies.

GAZ
    Na I donít use the same mitt to wash the car itís just an old noodle mitt for the wheels.

When I wash a car weekly I do all of the below only if itís had a proper clean b4 IE clayed, polished.
    Rinse the whole car + wheels.
    Noodle mitt with bucket of Megís nxt shampoo + a bucket of clean water and clean the wheels.
    Rinse the wheels and the car again.
    Wash the car using 2 bucket method with megs nxt
    Dry.
    Then wax.

LYAM
    I know my local auto smart dealer so I will try some of that smart wheels thanks.