Thread: hid kit

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hid kit

hi i just bought and fitted a hid kit to my dads new car a ford fusion but the what i want to ask is after fitting them i took it out at night and wasnt that impressed the beam wasnt very good and didnt seem that bright compare to mine anyway but think mine are 55w and my dads are 35w would this be the reason why

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    35w will have a lower output, what kind of headlamps did you put them in?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the standard ford headlights its just the beam didnt seem to be floodlit like in my astra its more like a pattern

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like you have them in reflector rather than projectors. reflectors will always pread the beam out so its not unusual for them to give a lesser output

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok they arent projectors but nor are mine on my coupe but the beam pattern is spot on is there anything i can do can i get the beam checked by a garage

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    the brightest point of the bulb may have gone beyond the point of relflection in the lighting housing, i find this a common problem with hid kits. the bulbs lengths vary from batch to batch for some reason, im talking max a mm in lenght, but this is enough to wreck the lighting pattern, i recommend wait till dark, disconnect one balast so only one bulb will work. then with the working bulb turn it on and slowly move it into the lighting housing and watch the lighting pattern on the road. i had the same problem with my hids but in projector headlamps.

Both work on same principle, both lamps may be different in how they diffuse the light but both have a single point which either is the point of reflection or point of projection......

if you find a point that the light spreads perfectly on the road you might need a grommint around the base of the bulb to just bring it out that little bit.

oh and a tip...regardless of what everyone says on the forum hids bulbs are hotter than halogen bulbs regardless of them being "35w", i have burns to prove it. so wear winter gloves or similar to mind your hands......

here is a link to how i fixed my problem.,......clicky
    i would if i could but i cant (be arsed)
    maybe I can....clicky ......now sold !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Dont the Ford head lights have them little Caps where the tip of the bulb is that reflects the light back to the reflector and out (VW also have them)! If that makes sense!
    THE STATEMENTS MADE ABOVE ARE MERELY MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS STATEMENTS OF FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i know what u mean dave, its like a cover, and on a VW it has the logo on it. I'm fairly certain that Fords have this aswell

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes fords are like vw has a bit on the end of the light i had to emove the rubber bit at the back of the light would that make a difference