Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Help with Stephs coupe as had a bit of a mishap today!

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    Ryan87's Avatar
    couldn't care less!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,074
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Help with Stephs coupe as had a bit of a mishap today!

    Well i was convinced to do an oil change on the Coupe today and all was going well right up until the point we had to change the filter.

    I assume the car is fitted with a paper element as it didnt have the spin on canister. SO we preceeded in trying to get the metal casing off of the car.

    I couldnt get it to budge so got a friend to have a go. Now the problem occurred here, the casing started to move and then the "nut" on the end of it snapped in half.

    Now there's a hole in the casing so all the oil has drained out and there's no point in re-filling it due to the leak.

    The car has been towed to the local Kwik Fit by the AA in a hope they can get the cap off.

    Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so how did you get the cap off?

    Really worried it's not going to come out and cause lots of damage now.

    Any help of tips would be great guys as im really annoyed and Steph is quite worried that it's going to cost the earth.
    __________________

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    Joereynolds89's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    She has a 2.2 then? as arnt all the other engines the ones with the standard filter as your vxr has... if so i thought the lid to the paper filament was plastic?

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    Ryan87's Avatar
    couldn't care less!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,074
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joereynolds89 View Post
    She has a 2.2 then? as arnt all the other engines the ones with the standard filter as your vxr has... if so i thought the lid to the paper filament was plastic?
    Nope it's a 1.8. I was a bit baffled too as i thought all the 1.8's had spin on canister's.

    The cover is definitely metal as the fragments are nice and shiny where theyve snapped off.

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    Keif's Avatar
    Going Topless!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Posts
    11,742
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    You'll more than likely have to replace the Oil Filter housing and Cap.

    Don't have the part number to hand tho.

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    Ryan87's Avatar
    couldn't care less!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,074
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keif View Post
    You'll more than likely have to replace the Oil Filter housing and Cap.

    Don't have the part number to hand tho.
    The car has been towed to Kwik fit tonight and were hoping a friend there is going to be able to get the cap off.

    Just incase he cant have you any idea on a rough price?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    andrewdevlin86's Avatar
    AOC Lite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here is where you can get the cap from...

    http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/pa...e=18&cont=true

    and the housing if you did need it (although I don't think you will)

    http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/pa...e=18&cont=true

    I had to give it some welly when I first serviced my 1.8 as my previous astra was a canister and I'd never seen the housing before. I heard the housing and cap is made of a brittle alloy and it is prone to snapping so was extra careful.
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    X_steph_X's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdevlin86 View Post
    Here is where you can get the cap from...

    http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/pa...e=18&cont=true

    and the housing if you did need it (although I don't think you will)

    http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/pa...e=18&cont=true

    I had to give it some welly when I first serviced my 1.8 as my previous astra was a canister and I'd never seen the housing before. I heard the housing and cap is made of a brittle alloy and it is prone to snapping so was extra careful.
    Thanks for that. I will be going to vauxhall in the morning to order those parts as i need my car back on the road asap!!

    I was expecting those prices to be alot more than what they are to be honest!

    Thanks .
    Chianti Red Cabriolet Turbo

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    andrewdevlin86's Avatar
    AOC Lite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you've managed to get the cap off without having to damage the housing then just get the cap (obviously!) Shouldn't imagine it will be much dearer at the dealer. That website is brilliant, always very prompt delivery and some parts are very well priced, others not. Pot luck I suppose!
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    X_steph_X's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdevlin86 View Post
    If you've managed to get the cap off without having to damage the housing then just get the cap (obviously!) Shouldn't imagine it will be much dearer at the dealer. That website is brilliant, always very prompt delivery and some parts are very well priced, others not. Pot luck I suppose!
    Well the bit thats on the front that the torx fits into, thats the bit that broke...

    So i presume its only the front half that i will need.

    As Ryan said, its in kwik fit at the moment and they are going to try and get the housing bit off tomorrow. Fingers crossed it dont cost the earth to fix....
    Chianti Red Cabriolet Turbo

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    andrewdevlin86's Avatar
    AOC Lite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You mean you put something inside the end to try to turn it? I used an adjustable spanner on the outside to turn it - Had to give it all 14 stone to get it loose but there was no sign it was going to crack!
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Icy Mishap
    By kr00zin_uk in forum Chit Chat and a Warm Welcome!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 13:07
  2. slight mishap
    By AllanM in forum Chit Chat and a Warm Welcome!
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 31-07-2004, 00:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •