Thread: collins dump valve

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

collins dump valve

i fitted one to my car yesterday (Z20 LET), and when 1st installed it it made no noise whatso ever, so i put my bailey one back on and checked for leaks in the pipes etc, but that worked fine, so i cut a bit off the spring inside the collins so that now the piston actually moves under pressure. but since doing so when the car hit 2k revs the car gets slugish, but after that point is fine, could it be letting too much boost out when it dumps then not having enough in low revs? i hear alot of people that have fitted collins to the z20 let engine like mine with no probs, would like peoples advice please.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you fitted a brand new Collins, then they do not 'dump' until they have loosened up, generally after 15 minutes of driving. Mine did exactly this when i first fitted it.

The fact that you've shortened the internal spring, would lead me to think that the spring is now useless because its ability to handle 'load' has been reduced. New spring i'm afraid.

Alternatively, if the Collins you have fitted is second hand, it may have worn out.

In all cases though, always check for vacuum leak.

Hope this helps.
    FYTuning Ltd - Coming Soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMD View Post
    If you fitted a brand new Collins, then they do not 'dump' until they have loosened up, generally after 15 minutes of driving. Mine did exactly this when i first fitted it.

The fact that you've shortened the internal spring, would lead me to think that the spring is now useless because its ability to handle 'load' has been reduced. New spring i'm afraid.

Alternatively, if the Collins you have fitted is second hand, it may have worn out.

In all cases though, always check for vacuum leak.

Hope this helps.
    it was brand new, ive ordered a new spring for it, i checked for leaks and found none, i will try again then when the spring arrives, thanks.