Thread: artificial life......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

artificial life......

after hearing that scientists have succeeded in developing the first living cell entirely by synthetic DNA, was wondering if this is a good thing or not!

what's your opinions?

discuss......
    Mk5 2.0l turbo sri. now dead
    but riding around in a mk6 2.0l cdti sri

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fantastic development, could open a whole new world of creations. Cures for serious illnesses, use in the petrochemical industry, manufacturing, the list is pretty much endless.

Wouldnt like to think it would ever get into the wrong hands though...
    For to play football the Glasgow Celtic way...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Like most things, it could be good if in the hands of the right people, but conversely could be very bad in the hands of the wrong people!!!

Overall I think it has to be a good thing as there is so much good that can come from it, time will tell though! Amazing the things we can do now though! Roll on the Star trek style food replicators!
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bad thing

Nature has done a perfectly good job of doing this sort of thing since the dawn of time.

On the other hand man has done a perfectly good job of f**king things up in the short amount of time he's been around.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its fantastic news
    just think of the possibilties!

they could potentially make new blood when ever they need it, bonemarrow, nervs etc

just think of people who cannot use their limbs and then given the chance to get that back! blind people being given their sight back etc etc

yes its a long way off but this is a huge start and so long as everyone keeps the ball rolling this could be achieved in our lifetime!

i like the media hype that is now starting .. 'its gonna escape and kill us all'
    pretty much the same thing as the LHC when that started only that was gonna suck us into a huge black hole.

the media damns all scientific breakthroughs and really hinder progress, i hope they dont stop this!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Bad thing

Nature has done a perfectly good job of doing this sort of thing since the dawn of time.

On the other hand man has done a perfectly good job of f**king things up in the short amount of time he's been around.
    This is true but surely you must think there are many good things could come of this? If it were to lead to a cure for many types of cancer for example, would you not agree that would be a good development?

Nature done a pretty good job of starting fires before we understood that concept. Where would we be without fire?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Learning how to make fire is way way different to playing god and creating new life. Look at the environmental impact of deliberately started wildfires in Aus and the US to see how wrong we can get that 'simple' skill. I sit on the Cumbria Wildfire Group, so you probably chose the wrong example to challenge me with

Man's track record of introducing even an already existing species into an another [alien] ecosystem, and the havoc it's caused is numerous and well documented.

This planet cannot sustain the current rate of human population growth, and the damage that unsustainable demand is causing. We should really start working with our environment, rather than trying to changer it.

As for curing all diseases. Disease is natures way of keeping populations under control, and that is especially more important in the case of man as we have no real predators now as we've took great pains to kill them all off

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Learning how to make fire is way way different to playing god and creating new life. Look at the environmental impact of deliberately started wildfires in Aus and the US to see how wrong we can get that 'simple' skill. I sit on the Cumbria Wildfire Group, so you probably chose the wrong example to challenge me with

Man's track record of introducing even an already existing species into an another [alien] ecosystem, and the havoc it's caused is numerous and well documented.

This planet cannot sustain the current rate of human population growth, and the damage that unsustainable demand is causing. We should really start working with our environment, rather than trying to changer it.

As for curing all diseases. Disease is natures way of keeping populations under control, and that is especially more important in the case of man as we have no real predators now as we've took great pains to kill them all off
    My point was more about "knowledge" and how we then apply it, i wasnt trying to be a.rsey mate. Internal combustion engines for example, they wouldnt exist if we didnt understand combustion.

Put simply, if a close family member of mine was dying and someone created a cure as a result of this development i would be over the moon. As long as this "knowledge" is used safely and wisely it could be great.

Also, how would you feel if they applied this to developing something which can resolve issues caused by oil slicks?

Pros and Cons to everything in life as always

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All very true, but even if we understand the the concept, can we be fully aware of the implications (especially long term), and just as importantly can every single person with access to this knowledge be trusted to use it correctly and wisely?

Unless there is a defo 100% categorical and unequivocal 'YES, most certainly' to any of the above then we are literally playing with fire (to use your analogy )

I don't think the human race has the ability to be trusted to do the right thing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As initially said, will depend on who uses it and how! If we can use these advances to create better fuels etc that mean we can run our cars and industry on things other than this worlds oil supplies etc then it would be a big improvement to our lives and help our environment flourish again!
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast