Thread: Exhaust manifold

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust manifold

I was wondering if anyone could help me...I've recently discovered a vibrating noise when accelerating mainly in 1st and 2nd gear. At first I thought it was the new middle pipe of the exhaust which I had replaced a fortnight ago. However I was told yesterday by my local Vauxhall garage that it was in fact the heat shield in the engine bay vibrating as the bolt which connects it to the manifold had broken.....not a problem I had encountered before, but upon close inspection the manifold was very rusty..

By the way my car is a Mk4 Astra 1.6 16v SXi (5 dooor) first registered in 2000.

According to the garage there was nothing I could do about it other than either take the heat shield off or have a new exhaust manifold fitted which would cost me a couple of hundred pounds...not viable for me.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if taking the heat shield off will have any serious implications...according to the man who saw the car at the Vauxhall garage..'it wouldn't have any drastic implications'....not a good answer in my opinion ...I only wanted a stright yes or no.

Secondly if it comes to buying a new manifold...does anyone know where I can buy one in good condition...I'm not an expert on cars and searching the internet has not given back any successful results. I would really appreciate it if anyone could tall me what I'll exactly need to buy and how much it might set me back including fitting.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

i have taken my heatsheild off there is the risk of burning through AirCon pipes but if you can secure them as close to the slam panel as you can you'll be fine

However if you decided to buy a new manifold local scrapyards will be able to help, if your lucky you might end up with a spare lambna sensor