Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Oil smell

hiya, wonder if anyone can help

I've got a MK4 astra coupe turbo. Its smelling of oil through the air vents into the car. Done a bit to try and stop it but no luck. Had the rocker cover off and cleaned it. Put a new gasket on. New gasket on the breather pipe from the sump. Had the sump re sealed. No oil leaks that i can see. Daft thing is that this only happens when the car is hot and is either standing still or reversing. Doesnt do it moving forward. It also doesnt do it if i put the recycled air on, just when it is blowing fresh air in. Got me stumped. Would appreciate any help. Thanks, Vank

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the back left had side of the engine next to the throttle body there is a breather pipe with a white one way valve and sometimes these can break, other that that id check all hoses and exhaust for leaks!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As jafo666 said, it's prolly one of the breather pipes (to the crossover) or the one way valve. It's a common problem.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To jafo666 & webdiddy - thanks for the reply. I have changed that one way valve if the one you mean is a small disc that is white on one side and black on the other. That was broken. The smell actually started some time after i changed that. Checked all the hoses that i can see and they all seem fine. Pollen filter has been changed. Just wondering if it is possible to block the air route from the engine sump breather through the rocker cover to the outlet pipes. There was quite a lot of gunge in there but i couldnt get to it all. Do you know if this breather is meant to have a filter on it or not. The hole in the engine and the hole in the breather pipe flange are not the same size. Just wondering if a piece is missing. Sounds daft, but i'm trying to think of anything at all now. Its got a couple of local garages stumped - even the vauxhall dealer. My next thing is to dismantle the inside of my car and trace the air ducts to look for signs of damage to see if there is a direct route in from the engine bay. Not holding out too much hope though. Vank

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are you shure that you fittet the one way vale in the right direction? the arrow is supposed to be pointing at the firweall if I remember correctly.

Also, losen the crossover from the turbo and the AFM and check the hose going in under the crossover connected to the rocker cover, if it's broken you could replace it with a catch tank to prevent future problems.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers again webdiddy. The valve points towards the firewall (black side towards the firewall). Had the crossover off a few times and made sure all is well there. Had all hoses and oil leaks checked by a garage too. This has really got me stumped mate. Vank