Thread: Water problem??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Water problem??

As above my car has some sort of problem with the coolant.
    I opened the bonnet a couple of days ago, only to find there was no coolant at all in the bottle.

I filled up, and started it, and noticed that the pipe that returns water to the bottle was just spitting out water, instead of a constant flow (if that makes sense)

I drove to work etc the next day, got home, opened the bonnet and the water was half way down the bottle! Me and my mate had a look properly and he reckoned there could be a slight leak somewhere or an air lock. So i put some Radweld in and ran the engine.
    My mate then suggested running it with the top off while he squeezed the pipes.
    This has sorted the flow problem.

Now today i have opened the bonnet to have a look, and the water was down again. I opened the lid and there was shit loads of pressure and the water filled up way over the max line!

I really dont know what is wrong, the temp is normal and never goes over 90 degrees on the gauge.

Any suggestions??

(Sorry for the essay lol)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone????????

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    take the pipe off the water bottle the 1 that faces the front of the car, check see if its cracked or split, had my bottle go a few weeks ago . worth a check n its free lol
    Piper cone , Vxr turbo , Full decat , Miltek cat back , xev cam , 63mm fmic , hard boost pipes , PEC 86.5 forged pistons , H beam rods , under piston squirters , 6 paddle clutch

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well it sounds like you have a coolant leak, I would check under the bonnet after a run and even jack it up for a look from underneath. If you cant find anything it could be the head gasket. Check the oil for water contamination/mayo and smell your exhaust for antifreeze.
    BTW never open the coolant bottle when the engine is hot, you could get showered in boiling water!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if your sure now that uv bleed the water system properly then drive around and keep checking the water level. also check ur oil to see if its creamy (oil+water mix) if it is then it could be head gasket failure. you can take it to a garage to have it compression checked for head gasket failure. if it is head gasket failure then it will over heat at some point but a little trick is to drive with ur heating on hot and if it all of a sudden goes off then pull over and stop ur engine as its about to go. this will give you abit more warning. hope this helps
    Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjay1980 View Post
    take the pipe off the water bottle the 1 that faces the front of the car, check see if its cracked or split, had my bottle go a few weeks ago . worth a check n its free lol
    Cheers mate, i will give that a go

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurrTony View Post
    Well it sounds like you have a coolant leak, I would check under the bonnet after a run and even jack it up for a look from underneath. If you cant find anything it could be the head gasket. Check the oil for water contamination/mayo and smell your exhaust for antifreeze.
    BTW never open the coolant bottle when the engine is hot, you could get showered in boiling water!
    Already done all of this, there are no leaks that i can see.
    Checked the oil and its fine.

And i know, i did it slowly until the pressure had escaped

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_coupe_t View Post
    if your sure now that uv bleed the water system properly then drive around and keep checking the water level. also check ur oil to see if its creamy (oil+water mix) if it is then it could be head gasket failure. you can take it to a garage to have it compression checked for head gasket failure. if it is head gasket failure then it will over heat at some point but a little trick is to drive with ur heating on hot and if it all of a sudden goes off then pull over and stop ur engine as its about to go. this will give you abit more warning. hope this helps
    I might have to go get it tested then, cos it is really doing my head in, especially with PVS coming up, dont want to be driving all that way and it end up going on me

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it were the head gasket, wouldnt it run hot? And run like a bag?
    it runs sweet and cool atm.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    **UPDATE** I have just been out and started the car. Water doesnt seem to be circulating on idle. When i rev to around 2k it starts returning water.
    Is this normal? It should always be flowing shouldnt it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast