Thread: Lots of smoke (blue)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lots of smoke (blue)

ok so i started the car this morning and it was fine, do the usual and wait for the choke to cut out. then i pull off and the engine sounds as if the traction control is on (mini missfire) and a lack of power then all of a sudden the power comes and a huge ploom of blue smoke comes out the back. now it is running fine, apart from the pinking under load and a little bit of a noisy injector. iv checked the oil level and it seems fine. is there anything i should keep an eye on? its a 2003 sri 1.8 (z18xe) just clicked over to 91k miles. started to feel a little bit sluggish in the last 5k miles but only as if its missing about 10bhp (feels like a z16xe) around town but on the motorway it feels normal. and before you ask it is definately a 1.8 lol

cheers for any help/advice

ben

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like 1 of 3 things

1. Engine oil is leaking into your cylinders via a posible internal leak/faulty valve (Cheap_
    2. Damaged piston ring (Expensive)
    3. You have filled the tank with diesel (Unlikely)

What evers going on, during the OTTO cycle oil is being burnt with the fuel. It can be a quick repair if its a failed valve but very very expensive if its a piston ring (may be more cost effective to replace engine at this stage). You need to either get it fixed ASAP or just accept it and run the car into the ground till it starts to misfire and leads to a whole new set of problems

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so do you reckon that a bit of an overhaul would be best then. ie -

new valves, springs and lifters
    piston rings
    head gasket (as the heads off anyway)
    new cambelt.

how much is that likely to cost and would that also solve the pinking under load?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Due to the lack of power and blue smoke I'd say its more of a piston ring issue. If your competant and seeing as the head is off Id start searching there. If you know what your doing and looking for you can replace the rings quite easily. Then put it back together and take it for a nice long spin. If after that the issue is still there it may be worthwhile do a compression test on the cylinders. The cambelt wouldnt cause this issue so id start eliminating the fault bit by bit rather then a complete overhaul.

If your looking to pay someone to do this it will cost alot of labour thats for sure. However seeing as the head is off im sure you could get someone round to inspect the pistons and rings for very little cash. I just hope the problem is a simple ring and not infact the whole piston!!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Blue smoke is unburnt oil and usually suggests something other than piston rings/cylinders (correct me if I'm wrong!) as any oil in there would be burnt during the ignition?

If it does it again, worry, if not don't

Unless it's had a bad life the mileage is nothing to worry about, if you're concerned then a compression or leak down test will let you know the state of the piston rings/cylinder bores. At 155,000 my Z16XE was almost immaculate inside.

Full rebuild depends what's needed - bores honed, new rings, head skimmed, expect ~£350 all in plus labour and parts to refit (cambelt kit, water pump, head gasket set, all the bottom end gaskets, stem seals are in head gasket kit...). Might as well say £800. I doubt the valves need replaced, may be worth getting the faces recut at 3 angles and the seats at 2 aid gas flow, but add another £150-£200 for that. If you have the cash, gas flowed/ported head is going to set you back £600 which should include the skim/valve stem & seat work.

Labour is the expensive one, if you can remove, strip, rebuild and replace the engine then it'll save hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd be dubious of replacing piston rings without having the bores honed, as the honing is what allows the rings to bed in properly and seal well (the hone pattern basically sands down the piston ring edges to smooth off any miniscule imperfections).

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Like the above post I doubt a full rebuild is needed and if it were just the blue smoke once id say not to worry. Its the lack of power really that suggest this could be the start of something. I think a compression test will tell you alot more and if your talking rebuild, you might as well look up new engine as well as it might be the more cost effective way to go

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    I'd be dubious of replacing piston rings without having the bores honed, as the honing is what allows the rings to bed in properly and seal well (the hone pattern basically sands down the piston ring edges to smooth off any miniscule imperfections).
    This, when i rebuilt my little X16SZR, it was honed and got new piston rings but still problems persisted and persisted! and even though i did all the work myself, the parts keep topping up and up so to be perfectly honest, it can be a HELL of a lot cheaper to buy another engine block from a scrapyard! which i found out the hard way, new block cost me £60 :/ instead of about £200+ i spent on getting the block honed and piston rings

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers guys. i have mechanics that would do the work cheap(ish). iv got a friend who works in a garage in birmingham and my girlfriends uncle runs his own garage a few miles from me but hes really busy which is why i havent taken it to him. might give it a good blast up the a38 in a couple of days. iv started the car up from cold another two times today and it hasnt smoked at all. little bit of steam at first but thats always happened. oil level is fine. took the spark plugs out and had a quick look down at the pistons with a little torch and i cant see any oil in there. spark plugs look normal too. ill just wait and see if it does it again. probably will get it pressure tested to see what the compression is, but other than that, for now ill just ignore that it happened. thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrim View Post
    This, when i rebuilt my little X16SZR, it was honed and got new piston rings but still problems persisted and persisted! and even though i did all the work myself, the parts keep topping up and up so to be perfectly honest, it can be a HELL of a lot cheaper to buy another engine block from a scrapyard! which i found out the hard way, new block cost me £60 :/ instead of about £200+ i spent on getting the block honed and piston rings
    Did you bed them in OK? Also depends on the actual condition of the bores and then if the rings were fitted correctly, they're not a simple case of dropping the rings on and leaving them, the ring gaps need checked, gaps must be at certain angles from the other gaps etc etc..

Mine were bedded in using 10w/40 mineral oil. 20-30 miles of 4th gear, 2500rpm, give it juice for 10 seconds, then lift off for 30 seconds. Repeat for the 30 miles or so. Oil change for mineral oil again, start at max 4000rpm for 100 miles and add 500rpm every subsequent 100 miles. Once at full rpm oil change for decent semi-synth.

I didn't want a new block as mine is essentially new now, whereas I have no clue what state a second hand block is in and I'd always be living on borrowed time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast