Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cleaning EGR valve Pt. No. 17200272

Hi All

My car(1.6 8v 53 plate Astra) was jerking a bit, and cutting out now and again. Other than these symptoms the car ran very well indeed.
    The ECU indicated a 0400 fault code by doing the "pedal" test, by counting the flahes ans pauses of the symbol, a car with a spanner.

Befre buying a new EGR because of the cost approx.£65 (genuine GM part) I decided to try cleaning it.

This is what I did.

1. Remove the wiring connector from the unit.

2. Remove the EGR valve from the manifold after undoing the two Torx 45 bolts. Incidentally, Torx 45 is the same size as the oil draInplug on my car. I purchased this little tool, with a 3/8 drive square drive, from Halfords a good litrtle buy, in my opinion.

3. The thin metal gasket appeared to be stuck to the body of the EGR valve. After carefully removing it I cleaned it using some brake cleaning fluid.

4. I carefully removed any carbon from the base of the valve and around the piston by freely soaking it with brake cleaning fluid.

5. I connected a small 9v battery across terminals a & e. It is actually marked this way on the body of the vale at the connector socket.
    All I had was some small sparks but no movement from the central piston.
    I decided to try this same metod but this time use the car battery. More power. Connecting the +ve to a and the -ve to e, using a couple of wires and two croc clips, I got the piston to move down appprox. 3mm. Reversing the polarity had no effect except again some small sparking. With the piston down, i.e. in it's open position, I kept soakinig the unit with more brake cleaning fluid and carefully cleaning the conical shaped end of any carbon etc.
    The only way I could get the piston to return i.e. close, was to push it lightly back. I repeated this processs a few times.

6. After a final clean and wipe round I replaced the unit, using the existing gasket and the 5pin wiring connector.

7. I took the car for a test run and in my opinion pulled a lot "sweeter".
    It has been nearly two weeks now and in excess of 150 miles I have had no feeling of jerking, no cutting out, and no symbols apppearing at all.

It may be I may have caught it in time, being so intermittent, or I may just have been lucky. Time will tell.

I am not advocating this as a definitve repair or cure, but I thought it was worth trying before spending all that money in the first place.

I was also curious to know what It looked like at the "business end" of the unit.

PS
    I am aware of blanking off the EGR, as a cure, and was indeed going to try it, but was assured by my main dealer, that it does not work with a 17200272 valve. It always pays to check in my opinion.

I hope this may help and encourage others to attempt cleaning their EGR valve before parting with a lot of hard earned money.

Goodluck.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as i also have the "jerky syndrome", i decided to clean mine out (rather than forking out for a new unit!) and im in the process of carrying out cleaning mine, just in the process of connecting it up to some power to get the solenoid moving to clean out internals heh, will report back of how everythin goes

::EDIT::

After cleaning out the valve i can say the "jerkyness" has decreased and feels like its pulling more freely than before.

like above i'd highly recommend this before purchasing a brand new one

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
    Hi All

My car(1.6 8v 53 plate Astra) was jerking a bit, and cutting out now and again. Other than these symptoms the car ran very well indeed.
    The ECU indicated a 0400 fault code by doing the "pedal" test, by counting the flahes ans pauses of the symbol, a car with a spanner.

Befre buying a new EGR because of the cost approx.£65 (genuine GM part) I decided to try cleaning it.

This is what I did.

1. Remove the wiring connector from the unit.

2. Remove the EGR valve from the manifold after undoing the two Torx 45 bolts. Incidentally, Torx 45 is the same size as the oil draInplug on my car. I purchased this little tool, with a 3/8 drive square drive, from Halfords a good litrtle buy, in my opinion.

3. The thin metal gasket appeared to be stuck to the body of the EGR valve. After carefully removing it I cleaned it using some brake cleaning fluid.

4. I carefully removed any carbon from the base of the valve and around the piston by freely soaking it with brake cleaning fluid.

5. I connected a small 9v battery across terminals a & e. It is actually marked this way on the body of the vale at the connector socket.
    All I had was some small sparks but no movement from the central piston.
    I decided to try this same metod but this time use the car battery. More power. Connecting the +ve to a and the -ve to e, using a couple of wires and two croc clips, I got the piston to move down appprox. 3mm. Reversing the polarity had no effect except again some small sparking. With the piston down, i.e. in it's open position, I kept soakinig the unit with more brake cleaning fluid and carefully cleaning the conical shaped end of any carbon etc.
    The only way I could get the piston to return i.e. close, was to push it lightly back. I repeated this processs a few times.

6. After a final clean and wipe round I replaced the unit, using the existing gasket and the 5pin wiring connector.

7. I took the car for a test run and in my opinion pulled a lot "sweeter".
    It has been nearly two weeks now and in excess of 150 miles I have had no feeling of jerking, no cutting out, and no symbols apppearing at all.

It may be I may have caught it in time, being so intermittent, or I may just have been lucky. Time will tell.

I am not advocating this as a definitve repair or cure, but I thought it was worth trying before spending all that money in the first place.

I was also curious to know what It looked like at the "business end" of the unit.

PS
    I am aware of blanking off the EGR, as a cure, and was indeed going to try it, but was assured by my main dealer, that it does not work with a 17200272 valve. It always pays to check in my opinion.

I hope this may help and encourage others to attempt cleaning their EGR valve before parting with a lot of hard earned money.

Goodluck.

Hi Mate,
    I have found a cheaper option for you if you do go down the replacement route. It from UK Diesel Parts. The name is a bit misleading but they also do parts for petrol cars. Price is around £27.00. I have had a couple from them myself and the quality is good.
    Hope this helps!
    http://ukdieselparts.com/17200272-op...rculation.html

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Keep us posted on your progress. The only permanent cure is a genuine brand new Delphi EGR valve. Aftermarket ones generally tend to be rubbish (I don't know about the UK Diesel Parts one.). You pays your money and you takes your chance...
    Now without an Astra!
    2008 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
    1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)