Thread: astra gsi brakes help ???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra gsi brakes help ???

hi there i have just replaced all my brakes front a rear with mintex discs and pads. before i done this i had my abs warning light and traction controll light on, driving along today and they started screeching and making a high pitched squeel but then the lights came on again. so i turned the engine off then the lights wnet off does anybody know what this is?? i did read somewhere about a noise coming from by the pedals like a p dong sound when pulling off and i get that does any one know what this could be ??? it would be much appreciated thanks

paddy

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can anyone shed any light???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have just got in and its still doing it and now the engine is whiney im quite concerned can anybody help. as i was reversing into my space i herd a realy loud clonk then the lights came on again if any one has any thing on this i would appreciate itthanks paddy

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi fella
    best thing is to go back starting with the front brakes and check that the new disc and pads are seated correctly, also make sure that there is no dirt or grime in the way of the anti lock sensors. aloso if you disconnected the wiring loom re connect it on the sensors.
    when things like this happen when you put something new on the car best thing to do is go over what you have done and something will pop out at you.
    make sure the guards at the rear of the front brakes are not catching on anything aswell, also make sure that the springs that locate/hold the front brake bads are in position correctly, if they are not put on right the pad can move about causing the squeeking noise and the traction light may also come on.
    on the rears just loook over what you have done and make sure you got the right pads for your callipers because some are for lucas and some for bosch, i am not sure if one will fit the other though. also make sure you got the right pads for the car as i had to take them back 3 times to get the right pads for my coupe, i also got the mintex pads which are very good by the way.
    if you want me to take a picture of the brakes to make sure you have done your right just pm me and i will forward a few to you.
    good luck and dont worry too much because it will only be something small you wait and see.
    all the best
    steve

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi steeve thanks for replying. i got a mate at kwik fit to fit them for me beacus a few bolts were seazed in. the only thing i can think of is that on the passenger side when he took the brake disc off it didnt have a screw to hold it on and he didnt put one back in either so its maybe that??? if itis that can i buy them from anywhere??? he said it would be alright because the main 5 wheel bolts would hold it back but io have noticed that there is alot of brake dust on my front passenger wheel i wash it twice a week and when i do wash it its like oil coming from it so its quite alot of muck. i dont rag it either and probably do about 50- 100 miles max in between cleaning. if you think any of this sounds dodgy i would appreciate some one telling me or you steeve thanks
    paddy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    your break disk's are held on by wheel nuts as your mate has told you, if they squeal, it mght just be bedding in, might not have had enough/any copper grease on also. As said before it could also be the guard if one o the disks has been off.

TC/ABS sensor connector's may have been upset when he dropped the calipers down to change the pads, spesh if they werent disconnected, i'd jack each wheel up and give them a good check over, calipers, connectors etc.

The clunk would worry me so i'd be making a point of checking it out but thats just me and the engine whining wont be break related (i doubt)

Hope this helps
    Just Another GSi Build Thread (Big BHP Build) - Feedback Thread (Comments appreciated )

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hopefully i have found the problem and its that i need a new front hub does anybody know http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...id=p2759.l1259 if that is the right hub my car is an astra gsi turbo if so then thanks for helping

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes that is the correct part for your car

good price too considering its a Conti part