Thread: Actuator theory??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actuator theory??

Been thinking about this today so thought I'd get some opinions on it. The standard zlet turbo actuator on a gsi is setup at 8-9psi which is what it holds after the initial overboost. The vxr turbo actuator is set at 14psi which again is what it holds after the initial overboost. So when you have for example a phase 1 map shouldn't you adjust the actuator to 14psi as that's what it should hold? Instead of opening the wastegate at 8-9psi and making the turbo work harder to get to 14psi or am I completely wrong and should stop talking??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_GSi View Post
    Been thinking about this today so thought I'd get some opinions on it. The standard zlet turbo actuator on a gsi is setup at 8-9psi which is what it holds after the initial overboost. The vxr turbo actuator is set at 14psi which again is what it holds after the initial overboost. So when you have for example a phase 1 map shouldn't you adjust the actuator to 14psi as that's what it should hold? Instead of opening the wastegate at 8-9psi and making the turbo work harder to get to 14psi or am I completely wrong and should stop talking??
    I like your theory

Like i said me and ben both adjusted out actuators once we mapped ours and it ran soooooooooo much better!

Spoke to some of the mechanics at work and one used to work at subaru and used to map them and said if you altering the boost then the actuator / wastegate will need adjusting to suit, it may not be much of an adjustment but will need adjusting!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The only adjustment on an actuator is the preload, the pre load alters the point when the actuator first starts to open. By 14psi the gate is fully open, which is why you cannot set the boost pressure using the actuator adjustment.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I understand that Tony but I've noticed that when your cruising then accelerate the car boosts to 8-9 psi for a second or two then goes to 14 and I'm thinking it's down to the actuator

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not really when you put your foot down at crusing speed you will get the boost available at that time. You will then have to wait while the turbo spools up to max pressure as the waste gate progressively opens wider.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But it doesnt do it on the standard map

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_GSi View Post
    But it doesnt do it on the standard map
    Because it doesnt run alot of boost.

Think i run about 24psi overboost, holding 20.

My actuator is adjusted to were i think it needs to be.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I still can't understand why people say you shouldn't adjust your actuator? I've adjusted mine and it's miles better. When I first fitted phase 3 I had to lose some boost as the clutch slipped so I de adjusted it.
    I've even done this on mine to hold more midrange boost. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...3_418354_n.jpg

The cheaper version of an 'uprated' actuator, cost me nothing