Thread: 1.8 sport problems - help please :)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.8 sport problems - help please :)

Hi everyone, I have a 1999 mk4 astra sport and have a few little problems that need sorting out...

Engine idle randomly fluctuates and sometimes stalls when coming to a stop at junctions, traffic lights etc. The engine is a X18XE1 as the AFM was changed last year I suspect that the idle control valve maybe the cause of the idling issues and the EGR is responsible for the engine cutting out.
    Service is due so I will take that opportunity to clean the throttle body if need be.

The ABS & TC light seems to have a will of its own, sometimes coming on as normal when starting the engine then going out. Other times it will stay on or come on whilst I'm driving. Switching the engine off and-re starting will sometimes clear the light. I'm thinking one of the hub sensors is at fault, how do I find out which one has failed.

Another problem I have is the that the rear callipers keep sticking every time I use the handbrake. I have had the callipers off several times to free them before but I'm tired of having to keep doing this every time!
    I believe this is common with the Bosh callipers and that vaux went to Lucas callipers. Is it possible to fit these callipers to my car and are they available as a kit/upgrade?

So does anybody care to offer any advise on the above issues? How much am I looking at for each of the parts and where would be the best place to get them?

Much appreciated.
    Astra G Sport 1.8 16v in Star Silver

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi bud firstly the throttle bodys probably the cause of the idling issue, you could also try what they call the 'earth mod' in which you strip part of the yellow wire on the afm, solder a wire onto it then connect the other end of the wire to the earth cabel on top of the alternator, did this on mine after all else failed and worked for me

As for the rear callipers did you do them yourself? May just be worth taking them apart again and re greasing them?? Sorry I can't help any more
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right ok thanks, cleaning the TB might be worth a try to improve idling but I think the stalling is more likely a fault with the EGR from what I can gather frm searching around on here.. Taking the calipers off again is no longer an option (It's a pain in the arse lol)

EDIT - sorry my initial response made no sense what so ever

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The throttle body just needs cleaning, there's a guide somewhere on how to clean it

The earth mod has been known to solve a few issues on the x18xe1, I'd try cleaning the throttle body first though
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone else want a stab at this?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whereabouts are u located?

maybe post in ur regional forum on here asking for a local member to hook the car up to their diagnostics (opcom etc) the EGR and other components can be checked and the problems diagnosed

an EGR pulse test can be carried out via the laptop and a faulty EGR will be evident

other tests can be carried out to ascertain whats up - but as already suggested, a full TB and EGR clean should be sorted first.

all u need is a jerry can of petrol and a nice clean cloth, maybe an old toothbrush too - ideal for cleaning the TB.

HTH