Thread: Fault EML light - did pedal test

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fault EML light - did pedal test

Posted a while back, the gsi was hesitating in 3rd and 5th. Today it felt a bit worse so took it for a run. Decided to drop it into 3rd and sink the boot to see what happened.....

The engine light (not the car with the spanner) flashed 4 or 5 times, then stayed on. The revs felt like a misfire and was struggling to go from standstill. got it home and turned the ignition off. turned it back on and revving fine, no lights on dash etc and acting as it should.

Done the pedal test and got a code 0300 unidentified misfire. I stupidly didn't wait to see if any more codes were stored as i presumed this was the cause.

Does this sound like a coil pack could be the issue? i have new plugs to go in anyway and was wondering if these were the symptoms of a faulty coil pack? As said once turned off it revs fine and dumps. It felt like i had no turbo driving it back when the light was on. Was this limp mode? any help would be great.

Not a good thing to find a fault but if it finally cures my purging problem then it would cheer me up no end

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    even before u mentioned the 0300 id have said coil pack

obviously u could ask locally to see if anyone has a c/pack u could borrow

so have u hoofed it since?

id take it for a good blast to see if it returns , may wish to check all boost hoses connections and vac lines just in case its something unrelated

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    even before u mentioned the 0300 id have said coil pack

whilst ur at it - pop in some nice new cossie plugs - £10 off ebay

obviously u could ask locally to see if anyone has a c/pack u could borrow

so have u hoofed it since?
    It's the cossie plugs i have mate, ordered on your recommendation on another post.

I havent taken it out since. but it was revving fine, and all the symptoms i mentioned to a mate were the exact same as he had. coil pack. Was the car in limp mode when the light comes on? never been in limp mode so don't know what it is.

Pretty sure its the coil pack, so new plugs, new coil pack, 2 new tyres and a camber setup will be on the cards for this weekend. Anyone know cheapest place for a coil pack?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Note turbo spools up fine, i have boost but it was when i went to full throttle it was like a misfire. no whistling or weird noises, all connections seem fine as i had a quick check. i don't know a lot about turbo engines but the dump valve was still working when i brought it home. as said i don't know if this would be something that would stop working or not.

This may be the cause of the misfiring feeling i was having. As it drove fine but was getting worse as the weeks went on. At least i found out before knockhill.

EDIT: Just looking to buy a coil pack anyway as it's always handy to have sitting. Keeping the car long term so even if it isn't then it's good to have one sitting in the garage beside my replacement maf sensor

Best place for one, and cheapest please.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well everytime ive had a coil pack fail the car sounded like a scooby with the emissions light flashing like hell, when switched off and back on it was ok.......well it was under regular driving, hoof it and the problem reappeared

depends if u wanna risk it again and see if it re-occurs.....or take the opportunity to replace it now.

should get one for about £80-90 for a genuine Bosch one

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Exact same as mine. Under normal driving i get no hesitation at all, a bit of spirited driving and it develops a hiccup like misfire but no lights. Drop a gear and hoof it and i get the flashing eml. To be honest i have been babying the car until today. So it has probably been goosed for a month or so i just havent noticed

Take it best going for a genuine bosch rather than a cheaper alternative? Money aint the issue, just want what's best for the car. Spent the last 3 years wanting one so to have an issue so soon into ownership kind of put me on a downer. But onwards and upwards, thanks for the link mate. Think i shall get my order in tomorrow and spend a few pennies on her.

Cheers for the help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Going to order through LMF tomorrow as i can't be bothered getting up to get the wallet to order the now

Would the car be ok to drive around town just to get me about meantime?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    only ever get Bosch - end of!

Yeah should be fine - as u say, its probs been like it for a while

i still have my knackered c.pack as a spare just in case, ok its buggered when hoofing it but as a get me by its perfectly ok

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate, yeah probably been on it's road out anyway. Ordering in the morning. Thanks again mate and will put my tuppence worth in regarding the cossie plugs after the weekend. may as well fit them while i am there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast