Thread: Quicky 5 Stud Alloy Question

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Quicky 5 Stud Alloy Question

Ok just a quicky, Iv got a 5 stud mk4 ( 5 door hatch ) I am looking for some alloys but wanna keep within the vaux. mk4 range

Would any of the 5 studs fit my car i.e coupe, sri etc ??

Or is their anything different i.e size of fitments from a 3 to 5 door

Should I be looking at the 205-50-16 and the 215-40-17 ??

I have also noticed some with 205-55-16 and 215-45-17 is there much difference with the different wheels on the alloys,

I dont wanna go low, low profile as I cant get my car lowered as I drive alot on gravel tracks and rough roads so I need something with a bit thicker tougher wheel

Wasnt quite a quicky but hope someone can help me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all vxl 5 studs are interchangeable so why not try a rim from another model?

I personally have Vectra C Phase 1 SRi rims on my Astra G running 215.40.17 rubber and tbh these are perfectly acceptable on all surfaces - some ppl however fit 215.45.17 for a little extra comfort etc

if you dont wish to lower your car then be careful when fitting larger wheels - because it will generally look a bit daft and tractor like using standard suspension

all the tyre sizes u listed are acceptable and commonly used on the Astra G so its all personal choice at the end of the day

My advice however would be a nice gentle lowered amount of say 30mm all round running 215.45.17 or 205.50.16 depending on wheel size u opt for and youll still retain the comfort yet gain improved roadholding and handling etc...not to mention not looking like a john deere special

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well yep thats what Im worried about if I get a different size and then I end up looking like Im driving farmer Jiles tractor

But never thought about looking at the other vx's If I got some off an astra they would be on the wrong tyres for my car wouldnt they, I thought they were bigger tyres, so I would have to change to a new set to fit my car does that sound right ??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    generally speaking, the tyre sizes may not be perfect if from another model - but this wouldnt be a major issue if ur running standard suspension. (ie no chance of tyres catching)

all it would mean is that just use them as they are until the tyres wear down then just replace them with the correct size rubber....... or just buy em cheap and fit the right size from the off.

16s are readily available from another astra and will have the correct tyre size from the off, should look relatively ok on normal suspension (what trim level do u have anyway, as sxi upwards has slightly lower suspension from the factory - not much though!)

17s and bigger will definitely look a bit daft on basic suspension but as i said before, this is your decision

personally i would lower it slightly as said and then any wheel size will look good - within reason of course.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok cheers for that, its an Ls ( woop woop ), but until I found this forum I wasnt particularly bothered what it looked like I just drove it, now Iv been reading through all the posts the last few months, im into colour coding, debadging, tinted lights, the list goes on, everyone thinks Im going through a mid life crisis, and Im a boy racer wanna be , well Im only 36 but you know what I mean !!

Thanks for your help

Yvonne