Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Temp Gauge Leaking, Help!

Hi Guys,

With much difficulty i replaced the thermostat today but it seems there's a problem.

There is a slow drip coming from the bottom of the housing, im assuming this is obviously a leak. I followed the how to guide, but i didnt use any sealant as it had a small rubber seal already on place.

I started the car and there's a lot of smoke coming from that area presumably because the coolant is leaking and burning off?

Im just annoyed now, should i deffo have used some sort of silicone sealant around the thermostat?

Please help!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used some on mine just in case...

Did you clean or wire brush the sealing are on the engine side before refitting? Could have been some debris left over from the previous one...

Pull it off, clean both surfaces, apply a little silicone and pop it back together... You only need to drain about 1 litre of coolant off to do it...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Being honest i didn't. i was being a bit rushed with it, was a little dirty could have used a quick clean.

It is a very slow drip, so im assuming putting sealant on is a must?

Oh and the coolant and EML light flashed briefly again! ARGH! Why is this?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You no doubt saw how thin the rubber gasket was? If the two surfaces arent perfectly clean then even the slightest bit of muck will stop the join being watertight, the silicone gives you a little room for manouver...

With regards to the eml i'm not sure what the trigger is, perhaps low pressure, could be low water level too though so check that there were no air locks in the system, you'll need to take the filler cap off and lay a rag over it, turn on the engine and once up to heat give the rad top hose a squeeze, keep an eye on the header tank level and top up as required. When you can only feel water running through the pipe youre squeezing then you should be good to go.

Incidentally as the engine warms you may find the leak turns into a spray, id get this sorted first as such...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks for the help. Yup the seal was really thin i thought it would have been okay but obviously i was wrong lol

I didn't give the system a chance to bleed through as i lost my patience and packed up my things. I think im going to have to do exactly what you just said, and put some silicone on it asap.

Hopefully that will sort out this annoying problem! Is it very easy to bleed the system? Literally just open the top, let it run a bit and top up when its hot?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah pretty much, its a self bleeding system but i like to give any visible hoses a little squeeze just to check waters running through, you can feel when theres air in the system by doing it so feel a bit more confident about it that way... Nice and easy to do anyway.

I used some standard auto silicone on mine, just check the temp rating on what you use though, make sure its good up to about 150 degrees plus, doesnt need to be the mega high temp stuff...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, helped alot!

Will be popping down to GSF or Euro tomorrow to grab the sealant and some coolant too. Will just put bog standard in for now, don't have time at the moment to do a full flush through!

Just to double check, the silicone goes around the outer and inner bit? Or only where the rubber seal went?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    on mine i just put a little bit on the gasket itself, shouldnt need much but a little overlap shouldnt hurt, just try not to get much on the inner side as it'll push out and go into your cooling system, shouldnt cause problems if a little bit goes in but best to avoid it, the most important bit is ensuring the metal surfaces are clean and smooth..

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers graeme647, much appreciated! Will let you know how it goes!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SORTED!

Purchased some gasket compound stuff, non bonding but its better than silicone and did the job PERFECTLY! No leaks no nothing! Cheers Graeme for your help!

Thermostat and new sensor fitted Temp perfect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast