Thread: Car seats and airbags

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car seats and airbags

ok so normally my 2 year old and my newborn ride in the back of my 5 door astra. occasionally though, my newborn needs feeding while im driving and the missus needs to sit in the back with her, only she finds it difficult sitting inbetween the rear facing baby seat and the 2 year olds car booster seat. iv read up on the laws, and i know that it is basically illegal to put a rear facing car seat in the front with a passenger airbag, and have also read that it ISNT illegal for a normal car seat to be in the front, although it isnt reccomended and they say to move the actual car seat as far back as possible. i must state that this would be only on the occasional drive, or on the motorway as i live a fair distance from all my family.

has anyone been pulled for having an infant car seat in the front of a vehicle with an airbag?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The reason rear facing child seats cant go in the front of cars fitted with Airbags is because if accident happen, chances of survival are very slim for the child. Unlike other manufacturers, Vauxhall Astra were never fitted with a switch to turn off the passenger airbrag.

Its going down to your decision, and the What If and safety.
    Disclaimer - some of the above text may actually be sarcasm (believe it or not!)

Astra 02, SRi 1.8i - Irmscher'd up (a bit) with Zebra front bumper

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a 5door astra and occasionaly have put my 3year old daughter in the front of passenger seat in her carseat when i have had to. i was once pulled over for having a break light out and the officer did not say anything about her bein in the front, maybe because he was a nice officer and could clearly see the rear of the car was full to the brim with loads of stuff.
    as far as im aware it isnt illegal but also isnt suggested. i personaly think if the child is safely restrained then there shouldnt b a problem, passenger air bags cant be turned off (as iain863 stated) so ye i would slide seat back as far as possible!
    hope this helps

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers guys. iain863 i definately wont be putting the rear facing seat in the front never have unless there is no airbag there. it would be my other little one that goes in the front. shes in a car seat like this-

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/...92_10001_14568

the car seatbelt goes through the back of the infant seat, then the straps strap in my little girl.

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The passenger airbag can be turned off with OpCom or Tech2, but your dealer won't like doing it and will probably refuse on the grounds of adult passenger safety.