Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Add SM Tuning on Facebook

Astra 2 litre...

Hey guys. Been a long time since ive been on here. However, im back with another astra. Last time I was on here I had 1.6 8v MK4 5 door club. I went to a corsa sport for about a year, but im back to the astra game and I have some questions...

My new astra is a 1999 V reg 2 litre astra. I think the engine code is X20XEV. What are these engines like for starters? this one I got has full vauxhall service history and has every receipt for every bit of work done to it. Even down to wiperblades! All vauxhall.

As far as I can see and read up, this engine seems to be half decent and reliable. Used in the vectra SRi 140 and omega unless im mistaken?

My next question, is where the heck can I buy engine parts for this engine? Ive looked for things like 4 branch manifolds and all sorts of other performance bits and no where seems to list anything.

Any ideas guys?

(I'll try get some pics up soon and make a project thread)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm no expert but from everything I've heard, that engine is the worst out of the lot! You'll definitely notice the difference in power from the 1.6, it isn't exactly a powerhouse though. My mum used to have a little toyota Rav4 2.0l and my 1.6 felt faster!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The engine is only as good as its been looked after. Every car has its faults

I have had mine for over 6 years and loved it, sure I ahve had the odd niggle but ain't we all. I am not going to be parting with it so contact me if your interested in any tuning parts.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    better change this bit on your profile then lol (Drives: Astra 1.6 8v. Z16SE!)
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the comments guys. I do love already and it feels great to be back to an astra. So smooth to drive too.

@ Windrew: Good point

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have this engine in my Vectra and its been absolutely fine so far for the year and a half that I have owned it. As said, those that bleat on about it being terrible for reliability probably havent looked after it. Indeed it is not as powerful as the previous C20XE, but the XEV engine is a volume production unit.

Things to watch for in the X20 XEV are oil leaks. It can do this around the rocker cover gasket, oil return pipe where it bolts to the block and the sump gasket. These are all easily and cheaply fixed. The exhaust manifold can also become 'ticky' when cold, usually meaning loose or snapped studs, but again its an easy fix.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Ticky noise...hmm, I have that. I was looking for a 4 branch manifold to just replace it, but if I dont find one. I'm gonna just strip mine and fix it. Lucky I have some good tools at work if any studs get stuck etc etc..