Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sub in rear Quarter

Hey everyone.

I have a 3door MK4 astra and I want to fit a sub in the passenger rear quarter with a mono amp in the drivers side, I have had a look about and the only shallow mount sub I can find in my price range is a Pioneer: TS-SW1041D but I am not sure how good these are and I have heard the focal subs are pretty shallow so I took some measurements but still not 100% if it will be ok.

The reason for wanting to do this as it keeps all my ice hidden and I don't lose any boot space.

The sub is the Focal 25 A1 which has a "Depth from wall" of 118mm not sure exactly what this means though

I cant get an exact measure of where the sub will be as there is a big chunk of metal that I still have to cut away but here are the best measurements I could take, I also took some measurements of the "enclosure" size and not really sure if there will be enough room for the sub to work properly so any advice on this would be appreciated, it is about 24" x 24" although because of the wheel arch and curve of the rear quarter it is hard to work out the volume.

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.parkmyauto.co.uk/vibe-exa...ofer-225-p.asp

to be honest don't know much about audio, but when i was looking at keeping space loss down i found this to be a good option. (vibe exact 8")

small but powerful
    Hid kits, richbrook, for sale

Less is more ..... more or less

www.detailerz.co.uk

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Hey everyone.

I have a 3door MK4 astra and I want to fit a sub in the passenger rear quarter with a mono amp in the drivers side, I have had a look about and the only shallow mount sub I can find in my price range is a Pioneer: TS-SW1041D but I am not sure how good these are and I have heard the focal subs are pretty shallow so I took some measurements but still not 100% if it will be ok.

The reason for wanting to do this as it keeps all my ice hidden and I don't lose any boot space.

The sub is the Focal 25 A1 which has a "Depth from wall" of 118mm not sure exactly what this means though

I cant get an exact measure of where the sub will be as there is a big chunk of metal that I still have to cut away but here are the best measurements I could take, I also took some measurements of the "enclosure" size and not really sure if there will be enough room for the sub to work properly so any advice on this would be appreciated, it is about 24" x 24" although because of the wheel arch and curve of the rear quarter it is hard to work out the volume.
    Depth from wall is the distance from the back of the sub magnet to the back edge of the mounting flange.

If you want a really thin mounting depth sub have a look at the JL 13TW5.

There is actually quite a bit of space to work with in there if you make the box right, I used to run an 8" rockford sub in the rear quarter of my previous car, will post up a pic if I can find one.

Basically, we cut out the metalwork the rear speaker fits on, made a box with a face & 4 sides that screwed on to the remining metalwork, then stretched fleece over the rear opening & soaked it with fibreglass resin. When it went hard it was reinforced with more resi & fibreglass matting, then lined with Dynamat. To help retain strength in the quarter panel I rivetted in lengths of aero grade aluminium box section in where the metal had been removed.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can get a 10" ... in a coupe:

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...hlight=aliante

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You could do the same in a 3Dr, I just happened to have those 8's at the time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, thanks for all the replies, that JL sub is way out my budget, I am hoping to do this for about £300 for amp, sub, cable and materials etc, I can stretch this but want to keep it in and around this.

I have seen that 10" sub in the coupe and I want to do something exactly like that although those subs are very rare and also expensive.

I would like to try and get a 10" in as its the lower freqencys I am lacking, my components up front give plenty of midbass and sound well but I am prety sure they are struggling below 50hz which is were I need the sub to fill the gap and I dont know if an 8" would be up for the job.

I am pretty sure that focal sub will fit although I may have to put something to force the card away from the speaker, I suppose the only thing to do is to try it, Car is being sound deadened over the next couple of weeks so once I get that done I will get the grinder out and then make a baffle up for that sub.

Any idea if audio advice would have any shallow mount subs? Or do you think if I bought that focal sub from them they would let me bring it back and exchange it if it dosent fit?

Cheers for all the help.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Audio Advice will probably try and sell you the JL Audio ... try and shuffle your budget to allow it !!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    That Rockford 8" had a mounting depth of 130mm, so you should get the Focal in no problem, plus you should have a wee bit of clearance in front as well.

@ Coo The AA guys won't try to upsell him if that's the sub he wants. Anyway, I only posted it to let him see a really shallow mount sub.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know some people might say its stupid but when I find a brand I like I tend to stick to it, My focal components with MTX amp work brilliantly so hopefully the Focal sub and mtx mono amp should sound good as well, also got my sound deadening today, 12 square meters of it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast