Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Corsa 1.4 to Astra 2.2SRi?

Hii,

Brand new to this forum this morning so just getting used to finding everything.

My situation is that I am thinking of upgrading from my 2004 Corsa C 1364cc, to a 2.2SRi Astra. Im 22 years old, with 2 years NCB and have had an insurance quote of £610 Fully Comp.

My question is "Exactly how good is th 2.2SRi and what problems should I look for when buying a used model. I would prefer a 2002/2004 model with the Irmy Kit ready fitted. With the Corsa, its build quality isnt all there, but then you expect that with such a small car and it can get rattly.

I have considered a GSi but lets be real, im only 22 and teh insurance companies would either laugh or charge me rediculous rates. Besides with a child, the GSi aint "practical" as you might say..

Any thoughts/comments etc, are very welcome...

Thankyou

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had a 2.2 and if i was buying another astra and couldnt justify a turbo then the 2.2 would be what id have.

loved mine build quality is very good the engien is good to pulls well ok its not a gsi etc but it has enough to keep you happy and is pritty reliable as long as the chain oil mod has been done by vaux which only effected early ones then you will be fine (most have been now tbh)

you get cruise control etc to which is nice some have th eprodrive kit of the sri-t fitted as standard to if you can get one et one of them
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply

I havent really carried otu much researched onto the Astras. My parents did own a really nice Astra MK4 2.0 a few years back and a 1.9CDTi before that. The ride was nice, and the engien always sounded sweet.

So I guess comparing the 2.2SRi to the 2.0GSi would be stupid, in terms of performance or are they not to dissimilar?

Taa.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No comparison, 200bhp from the GSi/144 from the 2.2, and oodles of torque on the GSi too. GSi is much quicker.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeha the gsi is a different league really there are mods out there for the 2.2 mainly due to the yanks but even so it will keep pace and out pace most of the normal cars out there and shock a fair few as they all seam to expect a astra is a 1.6

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stupid question to ask I guess!

So as far as build quality, performance and comfort/ride go, the Astra 2.2 is the best of the range with the exception of the GSi?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fingz999 View Post
    yeha the gsi is a different league really there are mods out there for the 2.2 mainly due to the yanks but even so it will keep pace and out pace most of the normal cars out there and shock a fair few as they all seam to expect a astra is a 1.6
    Funny that you reply, my other choice was a BMW Compact 318is.

I think having had a Vaux with no problems, il stick with it.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go route through Parkers website now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the 1.8 sri is a good car to and im not saying others are bad but the 2.2 from experiance is my favorite still one of mine and my wifes favorite cars we have had.

if you looking at compacts then depending which compact you have the money for id struggle on a toss up between the two if its the newer shape the e46 shape then id go for that but only as i love my bmw slightly more than my astra if its the older e36 shape then id go for the astra

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I went form a Corsa 1.4 to a 1.8 Astra. Even at that, I had to get used to pressing the pedal less firmly.

Build quality of the Astra G is excellent imo and way better than both my old COrsa B and Mum_L's Corsa C. No crappy trim, and hard scratchy plastics are confined to the lowest parts of the cabin. Just watch for wear on the drivers side seat bolster on SXi models and above.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've got the 2.2 and its cost me over a grand so far in repairs... but i seem to be quite unlucky! i'm also 22 and have one year ncb, which costs me just over £700 third party which isnt bad considering the performance, and the quotes i've had for similar powered cars (i,e. golf gti, ibiza cupra, etc). i've suprised a few people in the beemers sat up my arse when i've put my foot down! as for looks, i have the 3 door with the gsi kit on, and its gorgeous! the standard astra g look is a bit dull imo.

i'd definately recommend one, just make sure you have some money tucked away because it costs a bomb if anything goes wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast