Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: P0303 Help

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    RhysF's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    P0303 Help

    Following on from the EMl throwing up P03000/0420 a month or so back and having the coil pack, egr valve (not a delphi) & plugs changed, the EMl has again thwon up P0303 - Cylinder 3 missfire on the way to work this morning Was a bit sluggish round 1500 - 2000 rpm

    When the garage checked the code at the weekend I was told it'd cost in the region of £500.00 to sort (have the head off, etc).

    Have had a look for any pointers online and not turned much up, any ideas as where to look in hope of avoiding forking out for the garage to sort it.

    Any help appreciated

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Get a TECH2 on there and check the injectors out, though I'd also get a Delphi EGR valve too, the pattern parts are cheap and nasty. Don't have a clue why the head needs to come off at this point!

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    RhysF's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Get a TECH2 on there and check the injectors out, though I'd also get a Delphi EGR valve too, the pattern parts are cheap and nasty. Don't have a clue why the head needs to come off at this point!
    Thanks for the info, did have some additive put in the last time this code was thrown up, which cleared it until it came back, is it worth putting some more in or is this not good?

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Fuel additive? If you changed the coil pack (for a good brand?) then this possibly rules it out, another alternative is a blocked injector which TECH2 can help diagnose. If it IS this, then get them all out and send them for cleaning, cost you about £45 and takes 3-4 days, they'll come back good as new and at £65+VAT each for new ones is the best option.

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    RhysF's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Fuel additive? If you changed the coil pack (for a good brand?) then this possibly rules it out, another alternative is a blocked injector which TECH2 can help diagnose. If it IS this, then get them all out and send them for cleaning, cost you about £45 and takes 3-4 days, they'll come back good as new and at £65+VAT each for new ones is the best option.
    Tech2? Will most garages have this? As the local garage I popped it into last weekend only had a small handheld code reader. Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine has a handheld reader (big red box thing) but it can do things like check the power to injectors, turn them off one by one etc, whatever they did allowed them to pinpoint that injector 3 was getting a signal and firing, but fuel was not coming out hence the misfire.

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    RhysF's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This morning as I started the car, the EML had gone . before this the sluggishness was intermittent, twice in a week or so.

    Did the pedal test when I got to work, the P0303 is still there?

    Does this mean it's cleared or will it come back?

    Have got it booked into the garage for Friday, best for them to look it over?

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Code stays in the system until the engine has run so many times without the code present, EML goes off after a shorter period I think. Get the injectors tested - worst case get them out and sent off for cleaning, £46 for all 4 and back within a week usually. I'll hunt out the eBay seller if you want.

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    RhysF's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Code stays in the system until the engine has run so many times without the code present, EML goes off after a shorter period I think. Get the injectors tested - worst case get them out and sent off for cleaning, £46 for all 4 and back within a week usually. I'll hunt out the eBay seller if you want.
    Thanks for the info Hopefully at the garage will pinpoint what it is.

    If you could find that Ebay seller it'd be appreciated!

    Thanks for all the help

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=380072659398

    Two of us on here have used them so far, perhaps others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please help:P0303 when RPM over 5000
    By Yrjo in forum NA Engines (Non-turbo petrol) inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 20:36
  2. P0303
    By fradleyp in forum NA Engines (Non-turbo petrol) inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-08-2009, 18:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •