Thread: New Astra 1.4i Sri Help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Astra 1.4i Sri Help

Hi i got a new astra 1.4i sri on 1st march and everthing is great apart from i find that there doesnt seem to be much power when i change from 1st to second. If i come to a steep hill for example i have no chance of getting up it in 2nd so go for it in first then as soon as the revs are up and i change to 2nd it just has no acceleration. If i am joining a motorway in 2nd and put my foot down its really slow at building up speed. Does anyone else have this problem or anyone have any ideas why this is?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    probably just because it's a 1.4. remember the same chassis and weight is hauled around regardless of what engine you have, and have you felt the weight in astra doors

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have an SRI 1.4 Turbo, only 200 miles on the clock now, it doesn't feel any different than when it had only 8 miles on the clock. I have no complaints at all with the engine, it pulls very well. My last vehicle was a Toyota with the 1.6VVTI which is reputed to be powerful for it's capacity. The Astra is noticebly superior not to mention the torque at the lower end which is far better. I am more than happy with the car generally but delighted with my choice of engine, I am a mature driver and probably not demanding the performance of a younger driver, however with my long experience of owning many cars I know when an engine is underpowered. After saying that if you are driving your car with 4 heavyweight passengers then that's a different story.
    I enjoy driving my new Astra.........that wouldn't be possible in my case if it was underpowered.

Unfortunately I have noticed that your engine is not the turbo, then I can understand your concern.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 1.4T is a cracking little engine (same unit in the Fiat 500 Arbarth).

The OP's problem is more than likely down to it being 98bhp and 96lbft in a car that weighs 1545 kg, never going to get anywhere fast. No disrespect meant by this, but I honestly don't know why they put the 1.4 in a car called a Sports Refinement Injection.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i think the 1.4 engine is decendet from the one that was in 2003 onwards Mk4's. but if you look at the weight difference,

mk4, 5 door 1.4 LS, weights = 1108 kh, 88 bhp

mk5, 5 door 1.4 sxi, weights = 1210 kg, 88 bhp

mk6, 5 door 1.4 sri, weights = 1545 kg, 98 bhp

BUT

crucially, the amount of torque stays the same, hence the performance.

but i think if you rev it a bit more before you change up, it should be fine.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SRI 1.6 astra

I got this 4 months ago and its been in the garage for over a week, its got to have a body control module replaced apparantly, this i have been told has got to come from germany and wont be in the country til at least 5 aug. Problems included no power, 1st to 2nd gear grinding, over revving, electric handbrake switching it self off, clutch slack, the dealership told me these were not big problems!! Ive told them they can keep it, im not having it back. This is on a 10 plate, also kept locking me out cos the central locking keeps fritzing out. They told me at the garage its cos i parked near am aerial transmitter!! Get the feeling im getting my leg pulled.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i do get the impression with the new Astra that they just threw it together one Sunday afternoon over a pint. There are so many things that are going wrong with them as high lighted by the number of posts on this forum. I luckily have not had any real problems with my 1.6 turbo, although the fact that the electric windows don't work when the engine is off is annoying, and the fact you cant keep the door open without that stupid bonger going off. (i no i no take the key out the ignition). My main gripe is the sheer lack of power, i have the most powerful engine available in terms of bhp (1.6 turbo 177 bhp) and i do find that's its either something or nothing. Its really quite asthmatic when doing hill climbs, but if you pull away and floor it on a flat road from a low speed in 1st or 2nd your have no power for about a second which it just irritating and then all the power comes at once and before you know it your on the rev limiter. the whole exercise if very jerky. I think its probably the esp, which i feel is far to intrusive and takes to much power from the front wheels. i am currently now driving my Astra with the esp off all the time now (much better power delivery now).

I do feel however that i should of gone for the diesel 2.0 as it has much more torque than my car and would be much better pulling away at low speeds. i would also not have to worry about having to change gear all the time and just keep it in 4th or 5th and just use the torque of the car.

Astra78 i do completely understand what you are saying, however there is a silver lining. Thorney motorsports has now developed an ecu mod for the Astra j. This will increase bhp and in some cases increase fuel economy.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollyj View Post
    I got this 4 months ago and its been in the garage for over a week, its got to have a body control module replaced apparantly, this i have been told has got to come from germany and wont be in the country til at least 5 aug. Problems included no power, 1st to 2nd gear grinding, over revving, electric handbrake switching it self off, clutch slack, the dealership told me these were not big problems!! Ive told them they can keep it, im not having it back. This is on a 10 plate, also kept locking me out cos the central locking keeps fritzing out. They told me at the garage its cos i parked near am aerial transmitter!! Get the feeling im getting my leg pulled.
    The central locking is definately a BCM fault as I've just had mine replaced for the same thing. The car still recognises the fob because the alarm disengages, plus if it was next to a transmitter it wouldn't matter one iota owing to the coded FM signal from the fob (I'm a radio engineer by trade ) There is now a recall for the BCM, but they do take a while to come in, mine took 2 weeks.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VXGrant View Post
    i do get the impression with the new Astra that they just threw it together one Sunday afternoon over a pint. There are so many things that are going wrong with them as high lighted by the number of posts on this forum. I luckily have not had any real problems with my 1.6 turbo, although the fact that the electric windows don't work when the engine is off is annoying, and the fact you cant keep the door open without that stupid bonger going off. (i no i no take the key out the ignition)...

Astra78 i do completely understand what you are saying, however there is a silver lining. Thorney motorsports has now developed an ecu mod for the Astra j. This will increase bhp and in some cases increase fuel economy.
    It was mate, rushed out the same as the insignia was. Electric windows not working without the ignition on is my big gripe with it. The door open bonger happens on most cars, my old poverty spec MK4 did it. As for the engine, when I tested a 1.6T I really wasn't impressed by it for the top end engine, but I'm glad I went with the 2.0CDTi.

Thorney do now have the maps ready, but they're in talks with superchips about a system to put the maps onto the car a la bluefin.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astra78 View Post
    Hi i got a new astra 1.4i sri on 1st march and everthing is great apart from i find that there doesnt seem to be much power when i change from 1st to second. If i come to a steep hill for example i have no chance of getting up it in 2nd so go for it in first then as soon as the revs are up and i change to 2nd it just has no acceleration. If i am joining a motorway in 2nd and put my foot down its really slow at building up speed. Does anyone else have this problem or anyone have any ideas why this is?
    This is exactly what I get, I bought a new Astra 1.4 in March, I got the 1.4 as I had a Mk4 1.4 and wasn't a problem. A hill near to us in Mk4 I could go up in it using 3rd and 2nd gear, with this thing its 2nd and quickly into 1st and its like that for 1/4 mile which is embarrassing and I am at the point of avoiding the hill now. I took the car back to the garage to see what was going on, they checked it over and said it was fine, they let me test another new 1.4 and that was no different.

I am going to take it back again next week as some faults have started - tacho stuck, cruise control won't work, and see if I can try a 1.4 turbo as this thing is a dog to drive, I really don't know how long I can put up with its less than adequate performance, I have had Astra's since 91, 1.6 and 1.4 and never had it this bad.

When I phoned up the garage the guy said he thought there might be a recall - he said it was about "engine management" and if its my car should be getting a letter soon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast