Thread: New to astras

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New to astras

Hi, I've just got my 1st Astra and wondered if any one could answer a few questions:-
    1) Should there be a seatbelt warning light, or alarm when driving the car and not wearing a seatbelt. Mine appears not to give any warning when someone isn't buckled up. The car is ex Motorbility and I'm wondering if the warnings been isolated for some reason.

2) A good feature I've got used to in previous cars was when the rear wiper would come on automatically if reverse was selected and the wipers were on for the windscreen, is this possible on Astras?

3) I'm thinking of getting the car (1.8 vvt life) Tech2'd, is there a list of options available which I could choose to have enabled? I'm sure there's things available which I wouldn't have thought about.

Thanking you in advance

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1 = no

2 = yep but only on design and upwards model

3 = quiet a bit really, don't get me wrong but use the search on that as the list is endless and every model, life design sri elite and so on is different

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1, some mk5's do some dont, mine does but I know of others that dont.

2, not sure what models it is on, but my club model has this feature.

3, its all depends if you car has wiring in place for some of the features, you have cruise control, door to door lighting, puddle light, the list goes on.

as said above have a search or if you want to know if anything is possible then just ask on here as there is really a lot of things that can be enabled

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, I must have misunderstood tech2, I just assumed if the hardware was in place then tech2 would enable it to work, eg trip computer, auto close wondows etc.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    auto close windows as I understand it, only is active if you have 4 electric windows, but can be enabled for 2, but I may be wrong.

trip computer all depends on the MFD that your car has, if your display only has 2 lines then I dont think it is possible, you must have a 3line display or something like that.

Cruise control you would need a clutch switch and a CC stalk, most cars will have the clutch switch, all diesels do, then you need to change the stalk then get CC enabled. but you must check you have the clutch switch, if not its easy to install if you have the wiring in place

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    1. YES but it only beeps when you go over 18mph AND its only on the front seats (sensor at the back of the base cushion)

2. YES automatically comes on when you engage reverse but only if your wipers are on constant (not timed)

3. life models probably wont have the wiring for the clutch switch or puddle lighting but you can find out when they go to Tech2 it to see if the sensor is responding.

auto close windows can be activated on 5dr front electric windows only BUT you need to have a full REC (big fusebox in the boot) otherwise it cant.

you are right with your thinking about tech2. Its a software program inwhich can activate and diagnose features and problems with your car. If the hardware is present then it can be activated.

Like munkie said if you have a 2line MFD display you will need to get a 3line one (which has been divorced from the previous car) and have it activated and merged to your car to allow trip features to be turned on.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies, will be getting it tech2'd shortly and will ask what I can and cant have.

Now seatbelt warnings given tho' even at speeds greater than 18mph, strange because i thought it would have been mandatory in the UK