Thread: Help pollen filter

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help pollen filter

I decided to attempt to change my pollen filter 2day. Bought the filter at the local vaux garage charged £11. Printed off the guide from here to help. Had the car since Oct 08 (its a Feb 04 reg) and dont think its being changed in any service Ive had the car. Anyhow had the bits but had to use pliers on the end of the bits to removed the screws (what does everyone else use to attach their torx/socket bits on?). Found that I needed a 5.5mm socket to remove the gold screws. A 6mm had no grip. Had difficultly getting the 'catflap' up and also trying to remove old filter. Does seem to be quite dirty.

Anyhow I need advice on which way the new filter should sit in (as the old filter doesnt resemble the new filter (i used the part no. in this guide); should the arrows point towards the boot and inside the cabin rather than towards the engine? see pics below;

Old filter facing the way it was in the slot (foam pointing towards the front and arrows and part no. on lower end);

Old filter from underneath and arrows were pointing towards the boot/inside of the cabin and also showing part no.;

Dirt of old filter ;

New filter;

New filter;

Should the new filter be inserted with the arrows pointing towards the boot and with the arrows and air flow information on the the lower end when inserted? And should use try to hover old dirt from where the filter came from? Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Airflow in the direction of the arrow into the cabin the filter says
    Astra Mk4 SRi Turbo Blog - Feel free to comment both good or bad.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here's what I mean (re. Anyhow had the bits but had to use pliers on the end of the bits to removed the screws (what does everyone else use to attach their torx/socket bits on?). );

For T20 torx bit:

For 5.5mm socket:

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got the job done anyhow. I must say it was very difficult to insert the new filter. I dont know how most people say its an easy job.

You have to deal with the plastic flap ('catflap') in the way of your hand and this leaves you with less room to move the filter in and two hands. You have to sort of squash the filter down and shove the top and bottom parts in. I took it out and tried a few times.

Then I noticed the fan-like filter material starting to part from the surround material, I hope this doesnt affect the performance of the filter? I may change it again in 12 mths time and probably try to insert the filter only once so that the material does start to seperate from the surround again.

I tried to force it down the slot and pulled it back up to make sure it fitted in the slot well.

Hopefully I will notice an improvement in my aircon and also no misting of the windscreen.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I snapped my catflap clean off
    Astra Mk4 SRi Turbo Blog - Feel free to comment both good or bad.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinstone View Post
    I got the job done anyhow. I must say it was very difficult to insert the new filter. I dont know how most people say its an easy job.

You have to deal with the plastic flap ('catflap') in the way of your hand and this leaves you with less room to move the filter in and two hands. You have to sort of squash the filter down and shove the top and bottom parts in. I took it out and tried a few times.

Then I noticed the fan-like filter material starting to part from the surround material, I hope this doesnt affect the performance of the filter? I may change it again in 12 mths time and probably try to insert the filter only once so that the material does start to seperate from the surround again.

I tried to force it down the slot and pulled it back up to make sure it fitted in the slot well.

Hopefully I will notice an improvement in my aircon and also no misting of the windscreen.
    I had that exact problem.
    I think the people that do these how to's experience exactly the same problems, but pretend they dont exist lol.
    Yea my new pollen filter got a bit bent up and pulled around to get it to fit with that stupid flap in the way.
    Just gotta hope its actually in place. I guess a load of dust and stuff would be blowing in my face if it wasnt.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, the catflap removal is not that easy, has the screws to hold it in place (easy to remove with the correct size socket) then some silly clips that are a real sod, did break one in the end....DOH!!