Thread: Strange Problem!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Strange Problem!

Ok so basically, I'm asking here because mechanics can't seem to work it out and just keep saying the same thing, but it's getting a bit embrassing now.

On a morning (and only when the car has been stood for more than say 8 hours) when trying to start the car it seems to react like it's over fueling and feels like a flooded engine, it only happens when car has been stood for a while and with a bit of gas it usually starts with a bit of a smoke cloud coming from exhaust.

However This isn't happening through out the day or when the car is warm, I've had the battery tested and it's at 75% probability of starting the car. (apparently good)

A few details to add is that it's a 1.6 16v SXi and has done 42k miles (03).

The only suggestion I've had is the "Cold start" isn't doing it's job but wtf that means I've got no idea and personally think it's bs. looking for an answer so I can get this bloody sorted!. lol

Thanks in advance.
    Active - Ultra Blue 1.8 SRI 53' 3 Dr,
    Retired - Black 1.6 SXi 03' 3 Dr, Silver 1.4LS

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can you describe more about how it is when you try to start? Not 100% on what you mean

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    i had a similar problem on an SXi last year and ofter scoping it, i changed the crankshaft sensor and it sorted it straightaway. you should not need to start an astra on the pedal, this compounds the problem and pumps in even more unburnt fuel

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, I'm not very mechanical when it comes to describing faults with the car.

Anyhow, basically on a cold start (when left for more than say 6-8hours) I go to start the car and basically it turns over, the engine trys to start (i,e I see the revs come up to about 300 then 500 then drop down then cuts out) Only by keeping the pedal pushed fully to the floor can I get it to start.

Basically, from what I can imagine when trying to start the fuel delivery is too fast, but this only happens when it's cold or hasn't been started for several hours.

The car normally is perfectly fine, runs great has no issues at all other than this slight problem with starting, but again this is only when the car isn't used for a while

I can turn the engine off, leave it for an hour or two and it will not happen, I can leave the engine off for half an hour and it doesn't happen, even a few hours, but on a night I will obviously leave my car while I go to sleep or w/e when I get home and the next day it will struggle to start everytime as described above.

Hope this describes the problem in a little more light for those who are confused about what I mean.

If i still don't make sense I have no idea what else to day. lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be a really clogged up TB but unlikely, I'd be inclined to try a different battery in it personally, had very similar symptoms on a battery a while back...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are you sure its over fueling?? i had a the same kind of thing with a cavi. it turned out to be a pin hole in one of the fuel lines so when it was left for a while the pipe drained and the only way to start it was with a little gas....
    MIKE

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure, but wouldn't that cause it run a little differently too, esp when pushing it?,

Sure aint sourced the problem of this issue either,