Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK3 - Drive Cutting Out

Hello there,

For the last year or two I have been experiencing a *very* intermittent issue with my 1995 MK3 Astra (It may only happen once every 2 months)

Whilst driving along at a steady speed (between 20-40mph) the car will suddenly lose all drive, and begin to slow down. (The engine light also appears). The drive will suddenly kick back in after several seconds and the engine light will go off. The engine continues to run whilst this happens, and the electrics all continue to work fine.

[For example: Last night, I was driving at around 35mph along a dual-carriageway, the car suddenly lost power and the engine light appeared, although I kept my foot on the accelerator. After 5-6 seconds I must have slowed down to around 20mph (and was preparing to pull over) when the engine light went off and the car suddenly sprang back into life.]

Does anyone have a clue where the problem might lie here? I admit that my knowledge of cars is fairly limited, but I have no clue whatsoever what might be causing this.

Obviously the infrequency of this means it would be difficult for a garage to investigate, and it’s not really worth spending any money on due to how little impact it has on the cars ability to get me where I want to go! But the curiosity is getting to me now!

Thanks, Jonathan

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathand View Post
    Hello there,

For the last year or two I have been experiencing a *very* intermittent issue with my 1995 MK3 Astra (It may only happen once every 2 months)

Whilst driving along at a steady speed (between 20-40mph) the car will suddenly lose all drive, and begin to slow down. (The engine light also appears). The drive will suddenly kick back in after several seconds and the engine light will go off. The engine continues to run whilst this happens, and the electrics all continue to work fine.

[For example: Last night, I was driving at around 35mph along a dual-carriageway, the car suddenly lost power and the engine light appeared, although I kept my foot on the accelerator. After 5-6 seconds I must have slowed down to around 20mph (and was preparing to pull over) when the engine light went off and the car suddenly sprang back into life.]

Does anyone have a clue where the problem might lie here? I admit that my knowledge of cars is fairly limited, but I have no clue whatsoever what might be causing this.

Obviously the infrequency of this means it would be difficult for a garage to investigate, and it’s not really worth spending any money on due to how little impact it has on the cars ability to get me where I want to go! But the curiosity is getting to me now!

Thanks, Jonathan
    if eml is on get it checked out dont use vauxhall find a local garage to put it on computer for you. it sounds like the EGR valve a very common fault in all models