Thread: Still ticking after cam follower change?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Still ticking after cam follower change?

Hi all as the title suggests I just had my cam followers changed coz there were gaps between the cams and the followers. I thought it would cure the ticking but hasn't. It is really annoying . I'll see if I can get a video up via UTube later . Cheers folks

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cam followers? I assume you mean valve lifters, they can take a little while to settle in. What brand did you go for? I've heard bad things about the cheaper online ones (though Febi Bilstein may be the better of the non-OEM options), but no experience myself of these.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gotta make sure that it all goes back in the same way it came out too. ie valves need to be in the same place as before

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry about the terminology nry I ain't a mechanic but they aren't of the eBay . Can't get vid up at the mo ... Haven't had the chance . And I trust the mechanic so I presume that the valves are all as they should be benhaven . I hope they do settle down as you say nry
    Coz it's a little expensive . Maybe I need to flush the engine ... Wynns engine flush or something ... Thanks for the input guys cheers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all.well heres the vid link for my noisy lifters what do you think? gonna speak to the mech 2morrow see what he says... was i meant to run them in or what? i wasnt told as much ... hope i aint done more damage but it pulls well theres no smoke etc.
    cheers all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94WFu5EkMZo

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so i spoke to the mech he said give the engine a flush and change oil/filter coz it might be sticky valves.and it is still noisy and if not noisier?
    i spoke to a friend who used to be a mech he looked/listened to the engine with a screwdriver stuck in his ear and told/showed me(with a screwdriver stuck in me ear) that the noise is coming from the inlet manifold somewhere? what could make a noise like that in there? are there moving parts inside? well anyways i just finished paying for my dbilas inlet today so im gonna change it all anyways...
    cheers all!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that is loud sounds like my toilet filling up lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    send nry a message he had similar problems with his 1.6 manifold make a noise

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not sure on anyone else but that engine doesn't sound good unless it's just the video!

Difficult to judge the noise from the vid to be honest, and it's a different engine to mine, and my noise didn't affect the running nor the exhaust note - it was nothing more than a 3mm hole in one of the core plugs on the EGR mounting point of the inlet manifold.

I'd prefer to hear it in person but you're a tad far away! I'd never have thought a damaged inlet manifold could cause such a noise, but I'd be inclined to have it checked over even if this involves removing it from the car. Could even be a bad gasket however I'd have thought that would have been changed when the lifters were fitted.

Having brand new Vauxhall lifters in my engine which has now done 500 miles, they needed no bedding in at all.