Thread: Driving With Dark Glasses

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Driving With Dark Glasses

Bit of a rant as I feel I need to let off some steeeaaaaaaammm!..

Q. Why oh why do people persist to drive with sunglasses on in their motor vehicles when it is not even necessary?!.

On the way to work this morning 6.40am and not even a particularly bright morning at that, I am on a quiet 50mph dual carriageway with light traffic, and uphead of me in the overtaking lane is an Audi A4 Cabriolet. Seriously sticking to the carriageway speed limit, it appears I am slowly gaining on the Audi who must be pottering along at 35 / 40mph which is fine, but this is in the overtaking lane with no other car out in front.

The driver of the Audi passed up numerous occassions to drop into the slow lane when safe to do so, in order that I could pass and carry on with my journey to work. I continue to gain with every few metres on the car in front, and still no reaction or sign of the Audi pulling across... At first I am convinced the driver of the Audi is deliberately not moving over to wind me up.. (Situation when the car in front is travelling at a speed where you cannot under or overtake) but still I remain calm. By this point we have travelled roughly a mile.

Eventually we are both gaining on and begin passing a Smart car that is on the inside lane. At this point it seems the Driver of the Audi wakes up realises that I am behind them, indicates and instantly pulls straight into the slow lane and straight into the path of the smart car, who had to brake hard taking evasive measures to avoid behind totalled..

I finally passed the bemused Smart car driver and then began passing the Audi, I look across at the driver in disgust only to see the driver of the Audi wearing Sunglasses and fixing her hair! WTF ....The Audi was completely oblivious to what they had just done!....

A fashion accessory they maybe, but in my opinion driving with the Sunglasses on in conditions that didn't warrant it, hampered the drivers reactions and ability to drive.. I was fuming as this was all needless and couldv'e resulted in a serious accident.....
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wear dark glasses and have limo tint all round...but i'm a safe and considerate driver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, an unjustifyed comment i think, i wear my Oakley glasses and they dont affect my driving

i think from what youve said, she was too busy doing her hair and not concentrating on the road

if your wearing glasses and concentrating on the road, its just like driving without them on
    G t c

soon!

kr00zin_uk
    The majority of drivers shouldn't be on the road in my opinion!

I don't think the glasses had any effect whatsoever - they would still have been too thick, too slow and too inconsiderate...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I wear mine whenever I feel the need, even if it isn't 'sunny', simply bright.

I bought polarised lenses and they are much better to drive in even on days when most people wouldn't bother. Doesn't make me a bad driver, though I do tend to have my hair sorted before getting in the car...

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    I wear mine whenever I feel the need, even if it isn't 'sunny', simply bright.
    I'm similar to that.

I have to wear sunglasses at times, even when it's not bright.

If I don't i'll end up driving with one eye shut, which will be a lot more dangerous.

So while YOU don't think it's necessary, it might be for the other driver.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The scenario above is to do with driver awareness and not due to wearing sunglasses...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ware my Oakleys all the time, I suffer from migrains quite often and bright light always hurts my eye's, but dont ever seem to have the problem of traffic waiting for me to speed up?

Down to stupid women not getting ready before she left the house
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Tried cutting out caffeine (coffee/tea/cola etc, not even decaf) and chocolate bigstring? Worked for me, lucky if I get one migraine every 2 or 3 months now vs 3 or 4 a week.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I must admit, my sunglasses do affect my vision when it's really bright; but that's because they're cheap aviator knock offs with reflective lenses. Bright sunlight seems to produce a lot of glare.

On the subject, what is the best colour lens to have when in the car? All the driving sunglasses I find have that manky orange/brown lens colour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast