Thread: Black smoke

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Black smoke

Hi every one, im a newbie. Right i have a 1.7 TD Astra van on a 99 plate. it has started to kick black smoke out when i start & accelerate. I have flushed & changed the oil, New fuel,air & oil filters. I put fuel line cleaner in the tank & filled her up. I have run the full tank of diesel off & topped up again but its still puffs smoke under load for a few seconds. i read on here it coud be the egr clogged up would cleaning this help. Any advice really welcome Cheers Trev

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you thought about cleaning the inlet manifold , i have a 2.0dti had the same trouble with mind , got it stripped and cleaned in the garage and it helped alot

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Trev and welcome to the forum,

I guess there's no engine management light showing? Regardless couldn't hurt to inspect/clean the EGR and take a look at the vacuum lines, elbows connections too (might not be sealing or you might find oil in them).

Hey could you tell us whether your engine is the X17DTL (injectors up front of engine) or is it the Y17DT? My old copy of TIS 2000 suggests for the Astra G only the X17DTL engine for year 1999, and lists the Y17DT starting year 2000.

Cheers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone thanks for the replys. First of all the engine management light has come on. Also the injectors are on the front dont know if this helps Paul.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Trev,

Yes that would be the X17DTL with the injectors, glow plugs and fuel pump up front, turbo at the back. Its a newer version of my old X17DTL.

Mine has the mechanical fuel pump but your has the electronically controlled fuel injection pump and a number of associated sensors etc. Either buy an OP-COM unit off eBay or go somewhere and have your codes read as it will probably point you in the right direction (like EGR system or whatever).

Cheers, Paul
    ----------------------
    p.s. you could try looking up and doing the pedal test to see if you can get your fault codes that way - something like accelerator and brake pdeal held down firmly, turn the key in the ignition until the EML light flahes, count the flashes (10 flashes = "zero") so if I'm not mistaken and if its EGR system fault, I guess you would get "10" "4" "10" "10". Somebody could correct me on this...