Thread: Ant control in the house?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Ant control in the house?

Every morning i wake up, there's little black barstewarding ants over the coffee table & they're now over the kitchen worktop, around the microwave, in one of the cupboards

They're small & fast as hell. They seem to like my dads coffee cup as they gather round that more than anything else. There was a fair few gathered around the Soy Sauce bottle the other day too.

They're only visible 1st thing in the morning.

Bit of googling suggests laying bait instead of just straight killing the ones you see. But apparently different ones take different baits

Take to your local pest control centre it says ........................... our local one is about 30 mile away.

Wilkinsons in town just has "ant bait" doesn't say what sort
    Same for B&Q

Reading online gives some sort of a recepie which says the need for boric acid, but when i look where to buy it from i can't find anything.

Anyone had to endure this before & can offer any help & it's bloody irritating.

We had it years ago when they came in through the windowsill, but it was obvious as there were LOADS of them gathered there. We've no idea where they're getting in or nesting now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My house had ants a few years ago!

Not sure what kind of ants thou, but basically what happened was the ants where in one house on the street and the council folks used the wrong stuff to try and kill them which basically meant they split and went to few different houses.

So like a row of houses all had ants. Eventually we got the right bait and just stuck it to the wall where the ants where and watched them take the bait back to the queen and eventually they all disappeared

Can't be of much help to you as it was all sorted by the council pest control or something. If they hadn't of screwed up using the wrong bait in the first place my house wouldn't of had ants in the first place :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    we had ants and ended up getting the house gassed by the local council
    G t c

soon!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I put ant powder along the back door frame. Turned out they were coming in the back door & making a little convoy all the way to the kitchen.
    Worst one was an ants nest on the driveway. My car was full of ants every summer. I dug it up in the end. I felt bad as they're only doing whats natural. Was funny to see them running about in my dash clocks & stuff though LOL.

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    One word, NIPPON

we had loads of ants in our place when we first moved in, they were all over the place and had no idea where the nest was. We put Nippon down in the little containers that comes with the stuff in the problem areas on the floor (in our case it was the kitchen and living room) and they were gone within 3 days have not seen an ant since!
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    What sort of ants did yu have in the nippon case?

We've small black fast ants. God knows what TYPE they are, but that's the best i can describe them

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The first couple of years I lived in my flat I had ant problems. No idea wht type they were but nothing I tried did anything for long so I ended up getting pest control in and after they squirted stuff round all the skirting boards i've not seen them since

That was over 10 years ago now
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Were they expensive?

That said, there's no pest control near us.

My mum wont listen to me about the baits etc My dad keeps getting in her ear about how they dont work & to use ant powder & disinfectant.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elmogimp View Post
    One word, NIPPON
    That's the word!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    try cleaning your house once in a while... ants only nest indoors when there is food available, usualy because the kitchen is minging.
    Astra: Drive it like you stole it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast