Thread: Any bike owners on here?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Any bike owners on here?

Thinking (again) of going in for a bike for the summer & using the car in winter (for work) in a bid to save money long term (which would also possibly allow for a GSI or 'other'). I'm just wondering something about bikes & it's been something even the few bike owners i know can't really answer.

PARKING TICKETS

I don't mean the sort you get when you park somewhere you shouldn't. I mean the sort you get from supermarket carparks, town car parks etc.

Where do you put the sticker?

You can't put it on your bike:
    - someone will nick it
    - it'll rain and rain the ticket off

Yet if you don't get a ticket, a traffic warden will come with one of their super adhesives & slap one on your bike.

Answer.........?

As a side question, i know 50cc's get something insane like 100+ MPG but what MPG do 125cc bikes return?

P.S. I know even less about bikes than i do about cars

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Normally in those sort of car parks there will be bike parking bays, so you wont need a ticket. If not, you can park a bike anywhere on the pavement etc, aslong as its not blocking shops/benchs drives etc. I have never put a ticket on my bike, just find alternative parking and you will be fine.
    As for mpg, on my 600 i get about 150-200 miles to 17 litres, depending on riding style. 125cc will be good dependent on bike, 2-stokers will be lower mpg as you need to rag them a bit, + cost of 2-stroke oil.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive never put a ticket on my bike either mind you i have only been out on it once since the nice weather, cant use it for work as i need my van, maybe this afternoon lol.
    Got to admit there is nothing like riding the bike, i have a 600 too and its fast enough for me. i did my test last year on the last day of the old test

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Old test?

I'm not really interested in powerful bikes & such. I've never been into bikes full stop. I know bikers say that'll change once you get on a bike, but i highly doubt that.

My SOLE interest in a bike at the moment is for skyrocketing MPG returns. I do a 13 mile roundtrip work & back every day for work. That adds up over the year & the way fuel is going, i figure a good MPG returning bike is much more of a winner than a diesel or MPG car.
    Not to mention my brother was quoted 2.7k insurance on a car yet only £215 for a 125cc ......... so wonder what it'd cost me when my car insurance was £470 for the Astra. So mega save again.

The bike (if i was to get one) would need to be returning 100MPG+. I didn't know they could do that until i was told not so long ago. Sounded like a good idea to me.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They changed the test last year
    If you only wanted a 125 you would only need to take a theory test then your cbt but you have to take a cbt every 2 years i think.
    If you go on to do a direct access course and pass you dont need to take any more tests after that.
    The direct access is now a 2 part test, an off road test first where you do emergency stop, avoidance, slow ride u turn etc.
    If you pass that you then go out for the road ride

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a 4 stroke 125cc will pull 100+ mpg. Tax is 15 quid for the year as well.
    When I had my ZXR400 it still hd masive MPG and tax was only 33 quid a year.
    Astra Mk5 1.9CDTi 150 SRi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a CBR 125 for a couple of years a few years back, only cost £5 to fill the tank and was good enough for a week of commuting and a good ride on the weekend.
    As said before tax is only £15!
    I thought you don't need a theory test before your CBT. Only if you do your A1/A2 or direct access, could be wrong but pretty sure you dont need to.
    You can drive a 50 rev and go on your car license, but depends how low you will lower your standards.
    CBT is Roughly £100, and pretty much cant fail unless your like my mate and rode the bike into a tree!
    Does get a bit more expensive as you move up, currently on a 09 R6, but is still cheaper than my astra mk4 1.4!
    Insurance quote for Astra currently £1000+ TPF&T - R6 currently £700 Fully Comp.
    As for parking tickets, not had one in 6 years of having my bike, and parking where ever.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You dont pay for public carparks, hence the 3/4 length barriers.
    My name is Pete
    Click >> here << for my Coupe build log

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    If i take our multi storey for e.g., there's only about 3 designated bike parking pays

If they're full then you're going to have to use standard bays & i think the traffic bloke wouldn't be too impressed if a load of bikes parked for free in "normal" parking bays/

That said ..... how many miles can you get out of a tank on a 125cc (roughly obviously). I know people say it's cheap, and talk in money terms, but how many MILES can you get off a tank?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think I did 130mpg, you can work it out from that :-)
    125 4 stroke

636 ninja isnt as forgiving
    My name is Pete
    Click >> here << for my Coupe build log

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast