Thread: has anyone done a z16xe to z18xe conversion?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

has anyone done a z16xe to z18xe conversion?

im just wondering if anyone had done this i know many people would think that its not worth it for 20bhp and would say do a z20let but i can get the engine cheap and engine mods for z16's are easily come by such as manifolds etc.

i just wondered if anyone knew what would be involved in the conversion. ive never done an engine conversion before so im a bit fresh should we say i can get the engine, gearbox and ecu but apart from unmounting the engine gearbox and driveshafts what else would i need to do to get it running such as changing engine wiring etc sorry about the mass of text but any help would be appreciated

many thanks

chris

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well considering most parts would need completely replaced with the said engine its a bit of a hassle for an extra 20bhp.

Take into account insurance documents etc that need to be changed etc.

When you do an engine conversion its best to get out what you can, thats why the next readily available engine is the 20LET.

If the engine is easy to get, best bet is to fling the engine in a crappy old corsa or something as a project car, then you would have the best of both worlds as well as an investment / item worth selling in the future.

HTH

Steve
    Astra VXD
    rburgring - 10:55

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i suppose it just seems to be financially the best option i want more power but cant with my crappy z16 any money spent on it would be wasted really. money wise this is the easiest way for me to add power i have no money for a project car as much as i would like one and i cant really afford to throw a 20let in it i looked into changing my manifold as dbilas claim that they can add 25bhp but they are ludicrus money for what they are and people have mentioned the x16xe manifold mod to fit the z16xe but as of yet i dont think anyone has pulled it off and dont want to put money on it by chance really

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Theres am member on here with a z16xe (astra-sxi) who I believe has managed to get about 120-130 ish bhp out of his. That would be your best and perhaps more enjoyable bet. Trust me, you would be disappointed with the gains from putting in a z18. I've had one for 5 years and it really is no ball of fire.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your Z16 is burning oil like petrol than swapping for a 1.8 makes sense (I'm planning the same as mine burns a lot of oil, but mine's LPG so harder to find the right 1.

If both engines are MY2003> then there's an intermediate connector between teh bulkhead connector and the ECU which makes life easier.

Earlier engines were wired from ECU direct to the bulkhead connector behind the ABS, so cut and join job.

I own a Z18 CDX Estate and a Z16 Elegance estate (dual fuel) and the 1.8 is a far nicer engine for the same mileage.

You'll need the tranponder chip and reader from the engine donor as well.

Gearbox and shafts are the same so can be retained.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.