Thread: ABS, TC, Battery, Airbag & Spanner Lights On

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ABS, TC, Battery, Airbag & Spanner Lights On

Help! I have a 2002 Astra Mk4 Convertible 2.2 Bertone.

I've been driving it most of today with the roof down, left it parked on the drive with the roof down, went to take it out tonight and only got down the road to find all hell broke loose.

I've got the power steering not working, the battery light on, the spanner light on, the ABS and TC lights on and also can hear a ticking noise coming from the passenger airbag area and the airbag light coming on and off. Also the speedo dies when I rev it. It does come back but then any revs what so ever and it dies again, the speedo, the revs and the oil/fuel gauges.

I've looked on the forum but can't figure out which might be the problem, the front hub assembly or the alternator. I did go down a few pot holes on the way out - this may lead to the hub? Not sure as I've not read about both the ABS/TC lights and the power steering not working together.

I will check all the connections tomorrow to see if there is an obvious problem but any ideas?

Any advice would be appreciated so much!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I'd say this is going to be a alternator problem, when that goes the battery light comes on and the power steering goes.

Check what the battery voltage is when the engines running
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks, I'm going to get a voltmeter now to test voltage, but I've just tried to unlock the car and the central locking doesn't work this morning, so the battery seems dead now, can I jump start it and still test the voltage? What am I looking for as regards to voltage?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my cabby 2.2 reads 14.3v accross the battery when running. not sure if its right but iv no issues

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right... I've just bought a battery/alternator tester, I've tested the battery with the engine off and no lights are coming on so the battery is totally dead, but I've just tried to jump start the car and it doesn't seem to be working. Next step would be to try charging the battery off of the car and try again. Any thoughts on this? Also if its looking like the alternator at fault should I buy new or second hand, and could I fit this myself?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    A toally flat battery could give a fault like the alternators gone so it's a good idea to try that first, you may find it won't take a charge though if it's that buggered

If your handy with the tools a alternator should be easy enough to change
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the help, will try and source a new alternator then, is ebay any good or should I get mine reconned?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try getting yours fixed,

I had got mine repaired about a month ago for £45, much cheaper then buying a new one or a reconned one for that matter.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what kind of place would repair these? I'm in Doncaster, what should I be looking for?